1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G.A.S. and its relationship to Unhappiness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassballs27, Jul 11, 2019.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Talkbass.com is the only place a stack of 16 bass cases impresses anyone.
    I feel shame for my stack of basses, and I do still feel a pull towards eBay, etc.
    I do think it's an issue, and I believe I have undiagnosed ADD that may weigh in on it.
    I legitimize it by saying I buy broken ones, and buy only when the prices are WAY LOW, fix them up to sell, which is kinda true, but I usually don't get around to selling... especially the ones I think are super cool. I've been feeling a purge coming on for awhile. Maybe this winter :D It's too busy now.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    As someone who enjoys playing and working with a nice array of high quality products I'm enjoying the projection in this thread. Someone with more or nicer stuff probably isn't happy?

Right. Unless they are. BTW I don't have GAS.
    ;)

It seems that if I got rid of most of my stuff, it might make other people happy. Where's the fun in that?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

You are in good company! :thumbsup:

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It could easily impress other musicians in real life.

5. brett adams

brett adams Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2015
    PORTLAND, OREGON
    get one of everything. get none of everything. either way or in between is fine with me.

SactoBass likes this.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Gear that is in demand and priced accordingly still sells. And for as much as many might hate to believe it, flipping can be fun and an extremely affordable way to acquire gear. Extremely... despite prevailing wisdom.

If you buy a car outright it's paid off. If you do the same with the next one, the same will likely be true. ijs

I'm not going to spend my life denying myself things I really like for no good reason. For the rest, enjoy "mastering" that one piece of kit.
    ;)

7. I'm not sure about everyone else & TBH I'm not going to read 100 responses, but for me:

I get a profound sense of GUILT when I have too much gear!
    In the past I've sold items on a whim & just decided one afternoon that instrument X & amp y were going.

Right now I've only got one amp, but can plug into AmpliTube on my computer, as well.
    At this particular point in time I've very happy with my gear & have zero GAS.

I did sort of have GAS for a 2nd bass, specifically for alternate tunings, but nothing fit my specs.
    Eventually I found that an el cheapo had a really great pickup in it & everything else matched up, all it needed was better hardware.

My GAS was satisfied during the building of that parts-bass, but now I'm in a bit of a slump again, because I should be playing it, LOL!~

8. JoshS

JoshS

Dec 30, 2018
    Colorado
    You and me, both. We haven't moved (yet), but started doing the same. It is staggering how you fill a house with crap. It was so liberating and freeing to dump a bunch of junk. Very little had much value, it was just things it was easier to stick in a room than properly repurpose, resell, donate, or dump.

This is a super interesting phenomena too. You see it in so many things. In several hobbies (off road jeeps, bicycles, fishing, marksmanship, photography, etc), when I had tons of time to practice, I had no money.

Now I'm in the opposite position. I work a lot, am older, and have saved well and could buy my way into whatever hobby, but I don't really have the time to get good. Having seen both sides, I don't really begrudge either side. I tend to buy mid-grade stuff, personally.

muggsy, SactoBass and PockySteve like this.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

But if lots of things work for you it can make deciding what to take on a particular gig more difficult.
    :D

SactoBass likes this.
  10. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    In a sense I completely agree. Last year me and my wife lost a much anticipated pregnancy. And it about killed me. Absolutely crushed me. In response, 3 ebmm Sterling's, a us sub sterling, Ric 4003, tone hammer 500, 6 space pedal board, pedals to fill it, and gretsch guitar. I also started playing A LOT more with the band. I've since sold off the gear that wasn't needed. Kept a few sterlings. Love my Aggie head. I've also since been graced with birth of my daughter. I haven't bought a single thing since. I'm beyond thrilled with my stash off basses. Defidently a cab or two, maybe a tube amp in the future. There's still a list of basses I want. But the urgency is all gone. And I truly believe it's because exactly what you're saying: the happiness I feel in life is full tilt. To be fair, I'm still gear nut. Will remain a gear nut. But the GAS has turned back into a healthy hobby.....for now

SactoBass and JoshS like this.
  11. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    I like to chase the S.A.S. or 'Skill Acquisition Syndrome' these days as it pertains to bass guitar.

CaptainWally and SactoBass like this.
  12. Years ago I bought a used Ibanez acoustic-electric 32" scale 5-string just because ... well, just because. I have a number of more expensive bass guitars. I put flats on the Ibanez and then put it in its case for years. But for a micro-gig a couple of months ago, I thought ... hmm, that Ibanez with flats would sound pretty good. It actually sounded great. Last weekend my main band did an acoustic show (that is, with drums but the guitarist played an acoustic with a pickup) and I brought along the Ibanez acoustic-electric with the flats again. Everyone loved it. So I have two thoughts related to this thread. First, it's not bad to have GAS - I like having a lot of different musical choices. Second, though - it's not the money (price of the gear) that talks, it's the instrument and the approach the musician takes to the music at hand.

Jscriv and SactoBass like this.
  13. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Great post man!!!

SactoBass likes this.
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    gas leads to happiness

16-basses.

15. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    If you didn’t see those John Tesh links in my original thread. People in general find their more happier from helping people...

Not a thing wrong with being satisfied with what you have. Satisfaction is happiness.

My big projection in this thread is positivity and not negativity.
    Negativity gets people nowhere.

SactoBass likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I didn't read every word of your post.... because I don't agree with the premise.

I know several people who have HUGE collections. One guy owns guitar gear. Another guy owns guns. And another owns seven airplane hangers full of cars... from classic to actual NASCAR cars to motorcycles to Euro sportscars. All three are happy as clams. They are have great family lives. They are welcoming and accommodating. They seem dang near joyful every time I'm in their presence.

Sure, my "evidence" is anecdotal.

As for myself, I have constant GAS. I try from time to time to convince myself I don't. But I do. You know what drives mine? Curiosity. I love trying different bass gear. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. But even the experience of buying a bass and selling it within a month because I didn't like it brings me joy.

And I don't lack for joy in other aspects of my life. In fact, I'm living by far the best part of my life right now.

Nah, I don't buy for a minute that all collectors are trying to fill holes in their souls with stuff. Neither are people who are lo ginger for that next car or bass or gun or whatever.

We collect stuff we like. Don't overthink it. ;)

17. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Some of you guys are over thinking. Just buy what you want and go on with your life. Inbetween the buyings, do some volunteer work if that makes you happier.

Just don't spend your kid's' college money or sell an organ. You aint seen or got no problems till you see your spouse go shopping shopping.

SactoBass likes this.
  18. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I don't know that GAS make you unhappy. Perhaps for some it's a way of filling a void in another part of their life.
    Could I cut back to one bass and one amp and do the job, sure, but I'm still happier with multiple instruments.
    I still have my late fathers Fender amps, a Bassman, Twin Reverb and Vibrolux from the 60's, I use them at home and don't really want to part with them as I still enjoy them as I hope my children will enjoy my collection when I can no longer play.

SactoBass likes this.
  19. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I was on board with you until the part where you seemingly undercut yourself by how your incredible good fortune casually afforded you all the luxuries the rest of us only dream about... "NOT AT ALL LIFE CHANGING" :O
    Perhaps if you were already in a place where you could spend years "playing the stock market", a huge windfall is no big deal.
    On the planet I live on, for most of us humans, not having to work for 5 years and getting a house would be PRETTY DANG LIFE CHANGING.
    These days I think getting one week off might be life changing.

Maybe your thoughts could be meaningful if you didn't make us feel like the guy in the Porsche SUV just took our parking place.

Treebeard likes this.
  20. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    For me the "shiny new things" part is unrealistic, all of my purchases have been on my "list" for a long time, hard to find, and I've had months to years to think it over, until one finally pops up and I grab it. I don't spontaneously buy instruments or gear.

SactoBass likes this.