1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G.A.S. and its relationship to Unhappiness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassballs27, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    You read WAY too much into Tom's post. It sounds like you're envious of his situation and experiences on the topic at hand. Sure most of us can't take five years off much less a couple weeks a year. But MANY can. That doesn't make his opinions and experiences any less relevant.

Brad Johnson likes this.
  2. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Agreed, nobody made him feel like that dude was the guy in the Porsche SUV, he can only make himself feel that way.

3. I have excellent tools and some skills
    Some great experiences As well as equal
    disappointments

Playing since ‘ 68/69
    At 65 I still have goals to achieve

SactoBass likes this.
  4. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Really? I read into it? yeah, I projected a bit with the Porsche bit, but that was a silly metaphor. But did you read this?

"For me it was clear after a few years of playing the stock market. I was pretty lucky a few times, enough to not have to work for about 5 years, plus it bought me a house and other frivolous material indulgences. It didn't change who I was though; nicer pen, same old pig. Not at all life changing. I still get a kick when my profits bounce upward, but it seems like a game."

I don't know how people can read that paragraph and not feel for those who struggle... A fortune is not life changing it's 'a kick', 'a game'
    I don't know how anyone could write that paragraph, not realizing that it could be infuriating to those who do struggle.
    Many people don't see income as a game, but a means to maintain their family.
    I'm fine. I'm not envious. I'm doing ok for myself and maintaining self awareness.

bassballs27 likes this.
  5. I think this is to much attention on something that doesn’t need it ! Why does everything has to be justified or related these day’s !?

That you have 150 bass or 2 doesn’t make you happier or not ! Everything is in your state of mind. I was reading comments and ppl are talking about hoarders and so on, Seriously ?
    I own 19 basses and 4 stacks not because i need to show off or because i’m a hoarder or I have a void in my life to fill and i’m unhappy ! I own them because I like them and I was lucky to find deals here and there over time and could afford them end of the story !

Is the drummer with 2 crashes happier then the one with 16 ?
    Numbers are just numbers....
    Just my 0.02

Brad Johnson likes this.
  6. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Did not read the whole thread but..

I have found that craving, as the buddhists call it, can lead to unhappiness.

I have also found that resisting craving, not acquiring things, because you know that it leads to unhappiness, does not make me happier.

The journey is long and complex.

7. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I bought that book back around the holidays - I had no idea GL had that many basses - lots of money tied up in that collection, but he can afford it + he’s now semi-retired = good hobby!

8. Magthegrate

Magthegrate Way less skilled than my gear suggests.

Sep 18, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Meh... probably true for some people, probably not true for others. Nothing to see here.

9. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    No. I am only taking gigs I want.

10. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Westminster, CO
    I just think the point he's trying to make is that for everything he made, it didn't change him as a person. We all struggle in life. Some struggle with money, others struggle with weight, some struggle with alcohol, etc.

But I can kinda see how you might have been offended. I suspect making that kind of money when you're raising a family would change your life a great deal, and dismissing it like it's no big deal could be a bit insulting. I don't think that was his intent.

bassballs27 likes this.
  11. davidprice

davidprice

Jan 1, 2005
    The way I read it is GAS as a symptom rather than cause. (I tend to agree - and think occasional GAS can be fun, too. - everything including excess in moderation...)

bassballs27 likes this.
  12. Coot

Coot

Nov 14, 2018
    Winnipeg,Canada
    I still have and will never sell my 1973 4001 ricky although it's been modded right out of the resell market( I turned it into a P/J pick-up wise) I recently bought a 2016 Fender M.I.A. Am Pro Jazz. I had never been able to afford a MIA Fender anything . It is a really nice bass. That is all I need .. those two basses.. I have a Mesa wd-800 , a sub 800+ and a Rumble 500 head, so i'm quite happy amp-wise. It's the cabs that get me in shtook..lol

bassballs27 likes this.
  13. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    Another odd thing I've found about my self (this thread got me thinking about life quite a bit) everything I do, I tend to have roughly a dozen of. I also fly fish and hunt. Those are my other two main activities in life. I have 12 fly rods. And 12 guns. I also have 12 basses. All sets consisting of my cheapys I started with that I won't let go and then a nice little collection of about 6 (what I consider) really nice options

bassballs27 likes this.
  14. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Many don't see income as an entitlement. I don't envy those with more money than I, I admire their dedication to success.

Most people go home after work and don't further their education with school or certifications, college, exams for higher paid union positions, etc... Most people are complacent and envious of others. Instead they watch TV, play bass, spend time with their families, and go to sleep. It's easier to live in the moment then work overtime for a better future.

Jscriv and Devnor like this.
  15. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I can't say that G.A.S makes me unhappy. But being B.R.O.K.E. does a great job of alleviating G.A.S. and makes me content with the gear that I have and appreciate how blessed I am to have it!

bassballs27 and Frodolicious like this.
  16. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    But why do you like them?
    And it sounds like getting a deal brings you satisfaction in life?
    There is never a need for anything all of its “nice to have”.

I mean this all in a positive light.

17. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    I’m loving the responses I’ve got so far from this thread! I’ve got tons of support and some that don’t see the point! I love it. There’s no wrong answers or opinions. No trying to justify why delving into details or over analyzing but I’ve found it great getting others perspectives.

If anything I hope this thread has made everyone evaluate what they have and what they intend to do. Change is a difficult thing and only you can change yourself. If you find you can’t change there’s loads of help out there. lol to your support system. And remember...talkbass is always a great place to unload gear and basses! LOL!

Frodolicious and rogerbmiller like this.
  18. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    People want what they can’t have or would need to put a boatload of time into to attain. Life is a marathon not a race. Winning life can be easy, winning the life marathon takes a lot dedication.

The completion of Post secondary education only really proves your capable of completing a degree or diploma in a general or specialized field. That’s what employers look for so it’s important. Not everyone can afford an education and some can’t complete it.

That’s why I love your last line, it’s easier to live in the moment than work overtime for a better future.

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying what you have. But doing nothing with what you have and continuing to acquire more is definitely a problem. A bass or amp is made for enjoyment either by yourself, with other musicians, or by the crowd. Once you’ve got all that working in unison...it’s beautiful. Playing music for others improves people’s lives.

castlev likes this.
  19. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    This is so true for many people. The second they walk out of school their education ends. If I spent half the amount of time on my education that I did on numerous bands and $100/man gigs I would have half a dozen PHDs by now. By the time your 65, being one of the hottest local players won't mean a damn thing.

castlev and bassballs27 like this.
  20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC

and THIS!

3)

[/QUOTE]