1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G.A.S. and its relationship to Unhappiness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassballs27, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Happier than whom?

And yeah, I looked at the links and found them largely irrelevant. Because they make an oft-repeated assumption. Buying gear creates a financial burden. For some, yes. For others like myself whose buying and selling of gear has largely paid for itself, heck no. As I said, some folks seem to need to believe otherwise.

I reread your first post and am surprised that you don't see the negativity and projection on your own words. What's positive about this?:

"So, if someone continues to acquire gear, maybe it's a result of them being unhappy with their own lives. And I'm not saying a small amount, we're talking large amounts of gear".

Maybe it's not... but I don't see that given any weight.
    :D

Maybe some feel guilty about owning gear. Maybe some hate their parents. I don't know. The broad brush tying together of acquiring gear and assigned motives strikes me as wishful thinking. There is no template for bassists. There is no universal level of commitment nor interest. If a hobbyist is blowing money he can't afford on gear that will largely only be looked at, maybe they have a problem. On the other end, if a dedicated pro builds up an arsenal that he uses to make money, he's probably unhappy too?

That's projecting. And we all don't share the same financial constraints... so a person who could spend tens of thousands of dollars on their interests might not miss a rent payment because they bought some more gear. And are they happy or sad? Who the heck knows? Their actions alone don't prove anything.

Several have stated here how unhappy they are, which was tied to their gear. That's too bad. Music and my gear rarely bring me any sadness if at all... quite the opposite. I enjoy the heck out of using my gear. Few things besides family make me as happy as a great musical experience, be it gigging or hanging with other musicians. I get annoyed about things tied to the music business but it doesn't make me unhappy.

2. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

PS- There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with GASsing for a Geddy Wal. It's completely normal for a bassist and almost expected.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Read what you quoted. It may not mean what you think.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Hoarder: Someone who has more (and/or nicer) gear than me.
    ;)

muggsy and bassballs27 like this.
  5. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA

[/QUOTE]

So cool! Thanks for posting these Roger!
    I really miss George Carlin!

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Yeah, I think you did. Someone discussing THEIR MINDSET and their good fortune is just that... their situation. So why should that trigger someone else... besides envy?

If you get infuriated over something as benign as that post, clearly GAS isn't the only path to unhappiness.

I've had people IRL bothered by the gear I own. I don't know if it pisses them off or enlightens them when I explain my MO. I don't care. They can take the knowledge and do what they will with it. That's what I did.

'I can't afford it" typically isn't true... particularly when people show you they spent the money elsewhere on another optional purchase. Think.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    bassballs27 likes this.
  7. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Yeah, gear is no financial burden to me either as I can afford the interest. You have to pay to play.

What I’m trying to find out is why people keep buying basses or amps that is way beyond their musical needs and abilities.

I enjoy my instruments as well.
    However, if there is loss of interest in any of them, I will sell them. Currently I acquire instruments to catch and release. Some I keep and others I let go. I’ve had 12 basses in my house and sold 5 in one weekend. It’s just how I role.

Hate to ask you this question Brad as I don’t mean in an ill war, but what are your plans (at the moment) the when you can’t play bass anymore? What will you do with those instruments?

Brad Johnson likes this.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And the usual assumption is that the guy in the Porsche "has it made". Because that's what you "see". Except you can't actually see much of anything.

Sometimes it's a bear to keep up appearances. Understand your situation and path to happiness and don't worry about others.

castlev and bassballs27 like this.
  9. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Many people in the drivers seat of a Porsche can’t even afford them and go broke trying to pay the interest to have them.

I live in an area of Canada where there are a ton of expensive homes down by the waterfront that for the most part are vacant, barely used, and or owned by people from other countries that don’t use them. Beautiful properties not being used!

I wonder if any of these homes have a stock pile of unused basses in them ;)

Williethump and Brad Johnson like this.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    True story: I bought a brand new Zon for half price with no interest/no payments for one year. And many here on TB swore that I had to pay interest.

Sometimes things aren't as complicated as we make them.

I don't...which is probably why I don't care if they do.
    ;) I've worked hard and that has lead to an appreciation of what my gear can do. None of it is magic and it can still suck in the wrong hands.

I don't have to lose interest in gear to let it go. Quite often I employ the greater good model. Yes, that's a cool piece that I don't play as often as others and I could use other means to meet a financial obligation but if someone shows interest I'll kill two birds with one stone. Done it several times... most recently with an amazing bass that I don't miss because I still have even more amazing ones. The key being "amazing ' is entirely up to me.

Good question.

Give my son whatever he might want, sell or donate the rest. If I'm done or gone no point in making any of them wall ornaments... they're cool tools that I've been blessed to be able to use. I have some amazing gear and unhappiness gas never been a factor in getting it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:41 PM
  11. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Good question.

Give my son whatever he might want, sell or donate the rest. If I'm done or gone no point in making any of them wall ornaments... they're cool tools that I've been blessed to be able to use. I have some amazing gear and unhappiness gas never been a factor in getting it.[/QUOTE]

Brad, you’re amazing! Love the response! I can tell you’re a very satisfied person! Thank you for your contribution to this thread!

I feel I’m more satisfied than I’ve been in awhile myself. I’ve got a lot to be thankful for.

Brad Johnson likes this.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Could be. People acquire stuff for all sorts of reasons.

You can pick up used Boxsters for under $5k, used 996 and Caymans for under $20. People are giving away Porsche SUVs. But others don't know any of this so they assume the cars are purchased new and you're loaded and then hate you for it... which frankly is just ignorant..

Or course another ignorant thing is buying a $50k car used for $10k and thinking you'll be paying for maintenance on a $10k car.

I've been into sports cars since the 70's. I bought a 1967 Porsche when I was an Airman in the USAF. I honestly didn't buy it to impress other people, most didn't know what was and what it was was relatively small, loud and wrong. But I was able to "afford" it on my salary because of my situation. Pretty much everything was provided by the USAF so i could use some of my IIRC $7K/yr salary to buy a car I really dug. In three years I had bought a modded 73 240Z then a 73 Triumph GT6 MkIII then the Porsche. Some folks thought I was selling drugs because the finances baffled them.

I bought my 2000 Z3 Coupe 12 years ago for half of its market value. It's worth more than that now. I still get people asking about my finances. Sometimes depending on the person I'll let them know I paid less than a third of what their Camry cost them.

bassballs27 likes this.
  13. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Brad, you’re amazing! Love the response! I can tell you’re a very satisfied person! Thank you for your contribution to this thread!

I feel I’m more satisfied than I’ve been in awhile myself. I’ve got a lot to be thankful for.[/QUOTE]

And in saying this I want to thank and continue to thank all of those who have posted to this thread!

Brad Johnson likes this.
  14. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    "...beyond their musical needs" according to who? Talkbass.com? Hey if you wanna roll into the local blues jam with a Fodera I have no problem with it. Anyone that does is simply envious.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    And that's really what's important.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 1:02 PM
  16. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I think that any form of consummerism basically exists because we need compensation for unhappiness, frustration, mal de vivre.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 3:32 PM
    bassballs27 likes this.
  17. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    Beyond what the average musician would think to be reasonable? How about that? Decent yardstick?

18. I don’t look for deals and pass my time on the web to follow stuff here and there !

A deal is something that happens out of nowhere and is worth it ! As an exemple while on vacation some 15 years ago I stopped in a “antique” shop to browse around, well i came across a 1956 fender deluxe amp and got it for 100$... to me that is a deal ! I can be 2 years without buying gear ! But if it happens it happens ! Some I keep some I sell ! I don’t think getting in debt is worth it ether.

As for why I like it, well there is multiple reasons !

As I mention in my first post I think it’s all in the state of mind more than anything else...

the guy who is always dress like a fashion model and spend thousands on clothes could as well be unhappy and looking for attention or approuval from others or he just may like clothes and love the quality of them!

You could be very happy with 2 basses and be an impressive bass player as could someone with 80!

Is Geddy who has 250 unhappy ? Hek is Joe Bonamassa that has a town of amps and guitars unhappy !?? He must be a really depressed person

bassballs27 likes this.
  19. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I think there is a factor or two missing in order to equate GAS more directly to unhappiness - that is compulsion and obsession.

If I am obsessing over the next thing to buy, rather: than being connected to people I love, doing things that bring me joy (playing music is one of those things) and it is impacting other areas of my life - relationships, work and just in general keeping me out of touch with being in the moment THAT leads to unhappiness.

If I can't keep the compulsion in check to buy and it starts to impact finances which starts to impact family, relationships, hurting other priorities and so on - that leads to guilt and unhappiness.

If this is what is going on and it keeps going on, rather than a syndrome, one is suffering from addiction. To make a mistake and learn is one thing,but to keep doing it is painful and it can turn into some sort of cycle that continues to get worse and is fed by shame and guilt.

I guess all of the above does kind of lead to which comes first, the chicken or the egg? I am going to say that the underlying issue, the unhappiness for simplicity and clarity's sake, is the root cause and that GAS is actually a symptom. For someone that truly suffers from GAS, if they didn't play an instrument it would be video games, sex, drugs, comic books or whatever else it is that they gravitate towards. There is a whole lot more than can be explored via this train of thought but I think I got the gist out.

Like others have said, by definition - owning a lot of basses or music gear does not by definition make anyone unhappy. I have owned a lot of different gear over the years and I currently own a bass that is almost embarrassingly expensive but guess what, I love it. I have also had my definition of too much gear and I corrected the situation.

I can't give an answer for anyone else except myself; I strive to be very conscious of my motives and honest to myself about the consequences of my actions.

bassballs27 likes this.
  20. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, CANADA
    If you do spend a considerable amount of time on the internet...you can get first dibs on many things. I picked up some real gems recently. :)