Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G.A.S. got the best of me..........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    My new(to me) Pre-EB Stingray.The color is not my favorite but once I heard the tone i couldn't resist.It sounds soooooooo good.Mabye better than my EBMM Stingray 5.It weighs a ton, but I could use the exercise.New frets,nut and refinished in (orignal color ?)shoreline gold....

Attached Files:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    niceeeeeeeeee

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    That color rocks! :cool:

4. Man, I played one of those for years. I bought one new in 1976 (I think... it's a little fuzzy!). It has to be one of the greatest basses ever! For some of us older guys, the active pre was a life changing experience. I remember putting a new set of rotosounds and playing through my Alembic/Furmin/BGW/JBL stack and thinking that I had died and gone to heaven.

Thanks for the good memories and enjoy. :bassist:

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Do you remember that color ? The guy I bought it from said it was an original color............

6. that color is awesome. cool bass!

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    +1. That looks like a killer 'Ray.

8. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Shoreline gold was not an original color for Pre-EB Rays.

Natural, sunburst and black were the most common options. Inca silver was original also but not so common.

maybe your bass was a custom order.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Thank's what's also kind of weird about this bass is the contoured body.There is a date stamp on the body that says Aug 19 1977,but they didn't have the contoured body in 77............

10. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    This makes the bass look even less original...IMO these are not factory made mods, but I might be wrong.

anyway, if it plays and sounds good the rest doesn't matter that much.

11. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I knew it wasn't anywhere close to original,the neck is a 1982 and the body is a 1977.The paint job is new as well as the frets and the nut.Like you said though it plays and sounds great so that's the bottom line eh....I'm just wondering if anyone knows when MusicMan started making Rays with the contoured body?

12. That's a gorgous bass, I love the color, refin or na

13. Love the bass, but now I'm GASsing for a Stingray even more :crying:

14. I love that color!!! And that's coming from someone whom hates gold tones!

Original or not, she's a beaut! But for your sake, I hope she's legit. ;)

~Ryan

15. i like that color alot

16. My Sadowsky is more or less the same color (mine is Champagne Gold) and I was not real thrilled with the color when I bought her but she was such a great bass I couldn't help it...After a bit over a year I Really like the color...I suspect if yours is a player the color will gradually grow on you!! I know Duncan Coutts has a Saddy like mine (or vice versa) the same color but with a Pearloid guard and I dig his!!

pics of mine here:

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/4045.html

Peace,

T

17. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Legit in what way?Here's more pics :bassist:

Attached Files:

18. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Here is something I found on the Ernie Ball froums from an interview with George Fullerton...... Some ‘Rays have gold plated hardware. Others have non-standard colours. Were special orders available for some artists?

“Gold was special order, we never made it for stock. So yes, if someone special ordered something, we would have it made.”
    So you were right Frandiaz, gold wasn't an original color but I guess it was available :)