Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G.A.S. is contagious...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    (Yay, my first own thread!:D )
    As I said, your GAS is contagious. I find myself wanting some more gear. And I almost got it...
    I recently went into a shop, which my bass-teacher recommeneded to me, and the owner (who is a luthier, too, but these here are made in a factory) showed me his new line of guitars and basses. They are cheap (6-stringer Ibanez-copy for ~$400 brand new!) but good-quality compared to the price (remember, it's in Hungary, here things are relatively cheap, craftsmanship is good and also cheap, but buyers' budget is low - that goes for me, too :( ) copies (let's say look-alikes of the original) of many kinds of guitars/basses. What I saw there? Fender, Ibanez, Fernandes, Stingray copies and... Warwick Fortress! I loved it! There were only two problems: I'm lefty and that was only in righty and I wanted a 5-string, but there only were 4-strings. Then, seeing my disappointment, he said that he could make me a body for 80.000Ft (~$350) and put in the electronics and neck of another Fortress. I was very-very excited, but when I went back next time he said that he couldn't find a suitable neck for it:( . I was quite disheartened. But he told me he is going to make a new line of them, 5-string, and in lefty, too. The only bad thing is that they will come out in about half a year. Well, I still can't wait to see one ready and in my collection...

Sorry, I couldn't reach their website, but if you still want pics, look at Warwick's Fortress - this looks very similar except for the headstock:)