1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G.A.S. is contagious...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    (Yay, my first own thread!:D )
    As I said, your GAS is contagious. I find myself wanting some more gear. And I almost got it...
    I recently went into a shop, which my bass-teacher recommeneded to me, and the owner (who is a luthier, too, but these here are made in a factory) showed me his new line of guitars and basses. They are cheap (6-stringer Ibanez-copy for ~$400 brand new!) but good-quality compared to the price (remember, it's in Hungary, here things are relatively cheap, craftsmanship is good and also cheap, but buyers' budget is low - that goes for me, too :( ) copies (let's say look-alikes of the original) of many kinds of guitars/basses. What I saw there? Fender, Ibanez, Fernandes, Stingray copies and... Warwick Fortress! I loved it! There were only two problems: I'm lefty and that was only in righty and I wanted a 5-string, but there only were 4-strings. Then, seeing my disappointment, he said that he could make me a body for 80.000Ft (~$350) and put in the electronics and neck of another Fortress. I was very-very excited, but when I went back next time he said that he couldn't find a suitable neck for it:( . I was quite disheartened. But he told me he is going to make a new line of them, 5-string, and in lefty, too. The only bad thing is that they will come out in about half a year. Well, I still can't wait to see one ready and in my collection...

Sorry, I couldn't reach their website, but if you still want pics, look at Warwick's Fortress - this looks very similar except for the headstock:)