G.A.S reducing activities or desperation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oyvind2305, Dec 10, 2004.

1. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    ok...We probably all have experienced it.. A piece you just have to have..Reduced price, hard to find, but hey empty wallet...

How is everybody overcoming such terrible hardships...

Yesterday I bought a book, sat down for some hours with some hardware I already got that is more than up to the job.... AND actually learned something new on my bass...
    voila, suddenly I was happy with what I got..
    So today or whenever I get desperate I will actually practice instead to get over it.
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, as much as people on here joke about GAS, I tend to think it is a real disorder, which can have serious financial consequences. I often get in the mode where I just love new gear so much that when I get stressed, instead of focusing on the problem, I look for new gear to make me happy. I think other people buy new gear to compensate for lack of talent too. Other people just need lots of stuff to do their jobs!
  3. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I know someone who has TONS of basses and amps. Lots of nice ones, '60's Hofners, vintage Fenders, Ampegs, Ricks etc. who is always wheeling and dealing, selling some buying new ones, I mean CONSTANTLY!

Can he play ? :rolleyes: I joined a band that he had just left and the guitarist said that it was so nice to have someone who could actually play through an entire song and that he didn't have to call the notes off to!

Back on topic, yeah, focus more on what the actual issue is as opposed to running out and buying something new that you think will solve your problem. Too often I've been guilty of buying something that I thought I needed, only to regret the decision later and end up selling for a loss. Trying to learn something new or different on your bass is a good way to fend off GAS.
  4. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    The great player with the old bass that is just good enough or the just good enough player with the great bass?
    I realise many on the forum are great professional players that deserve the best tools around. But for us struggling amateurs it is easy to loose focus on education. I have personally caught myself browsing adds and shops on the web the very same day I got something new and felt silly about it, really. I suppose wanting some new equipment never stops.
    I think I will try to spend more on education as a musician and less on equipment. I know which will make the biggest improvement on my playing.
  5. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yeah, it's called Compulsive Spending and it can be destructive as compulsive gambling, compulsive eating or compulsive anything really.

These compulsions can be linked to clinical depression or anxiety.