Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G.A.S Retardant, thy name is Pedulla....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Ok, I admit it, I'm a gear-a-holic. In the past 4-5 years I've probably had 20+ different basses, either by buy & selling or trading, even with some of the fine people here on the TB.

I recently traded 2 basses, and some cash, for a new Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string, and just absolutely love it! :hyper:

It's the most playable 5 string neck I've ever held, same nut width as a Musicman but thinner front-to-back. The down size J type body keeps it relatively light and the custom Bart pickups and 2-band preamp make it sound great! Solid, warm lows and a nice high end that can be cut or boosted 15 db.

The best part though, the B string is the voice of God! So powerful and even with the other strings. As good or better than a 55-02 I once had, and definately better than an SR5.

The store I got it from is letting go of the Pedulla line and gave me a really good price on it. He still has an MVP 4, and a fretless Rapture 4 string with the single HB pickup at very good prices too. Oh, and he had a new Stingray 5 with maple board for $1029! New! If you're interested in any of these basses contact me and I'll give you the store name.

Pictures at 11:00....

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    i know..... man..... i'm the same way... i've played for 5 years and i've been thru 15 basses.... LOL i'm still a n00b, but anyways..

I would kill to have a Pedulla Rapture J2 5. Isit the one with the birdseye maple board? 20mm or 17mm at bridge spacing?

Man, i coulda had one for $800 for a new one at GC since they couldn't sell it for like a year

D

3. If there's a Pedulla *GAS* fan club, I'm joining up! Mike has had me drooling for quite some time now over a PentaBuzz and a Rapture.. Sure would like to get my hands on a Thunder Bolt too.

-ryan-

4. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    DM - it's the 19mm bridge spacing, and it has the most beautiful birdseye maple fretboard I've ever seen!

5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've been a member of the club for a while. My J2000 5 string is definitely a keeper. Sounds sweet and feels good in my hands. Great birdseye board too. Now I have to get a Thunderbolt 5 with maple board.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have a Thunderbolt 4 with a birdseye maple fretboard. It's one of the punchiest basses I've ever played. No problems cutting through on any gig.

I also have a Buzz 4 (fretless). It really sings!

Both of these are keepers.

Mike builds great basses and his customer service is second to none.

Enjoy! :D

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love the way my Rapture feels. Been considering changing the preamp to something more... exotic. Updates as events warrant...

8. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I played a Pedulla Rapture J2 5-string at a Guitar Center once. It is the only active-pickup bass that I have ever liked . . . if I had the cash, I would buy one in a heartbeat . . . absolutely gorgeous and perfect in every way . . .

9. Hate to throw salt in the game fellas, but i had a brand spanking new pedulla rapture J 2, 5 string, with the birds eye maple neck, the tuexdo black and white one, that i kept for about a year, until a buddy of mine replied that he disliked playing short scale necked basses, ala, the pedulla rapture. Ever since he uttered that, i felt so differently about it, like i lost the love i had for it. I semi recovered from that statement, when conversing with a veteran musican and he informed me that those basses that sound so good played alone, usually always get buried deep in the mix when playing with an aggresive drummer.

Like the following week i resold the rapture back to guitar center for $900.00 and put that money towards a warwick thumb 5 bolt on, which i kept for about 4 months and then traded here for a Conklin Groove Tools 7.

It's a way -way inferior bass (Conklin Groove Tools) holds absolutely no value from a dollars and sense standpoint, but in the right persons hands that mutha will sing just as beautifully as the most customed of customized basses out there.

10. My bad Josh, my bad. My intentions were to get across his preference for 24 fret basses, as opposed to the 22 fret ones.

I loved Pedullas Raptures with my whole heart, soul, mind and strength, or so i thought. His insecurities or quirks about the Rapture became mine as well, as i highy admire his God given talents on the instrument and hold his observations in high regards, as i know his advice isn't stemming from any dogmatism.

I've only been playing the electric bass guitar since 2002, so i'm no authority on anything really.

What i am aware of, is that, these instruments are only tools, much like the paint brush or pencil, in the hands of an artist.

11. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Raptures don't have active pickups; they have standard passive pickups. They do have active electronics in the preamp, however.

12. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    This tells me that you've not totally found your own preferences on bass. I'm sure he's a fantastic musician and has good foundations for his reasons, but be careful about taking his opinions as your own. I'd say the majority of basses have fewer than 24 frets, and plenty of people seem to get by just fine without those last few high notes. Now, that doesn't mean that YOU shouldn't want those notes, but you should want them because you like them, not because a very talented musician thinks that non-24 fret fingerboards are too sort.

13. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i can't see using those last 3 frets for too much. there are rare occasions.. very rare. but its rare that i go beyond say, the 15th. unless im tapping. the option is nice... but seriously, that does not devalue an entire great instrument.

14. true true :crying:

i just soo desired his love, approval and friendship, ya know? i mean, what's a boy to do? :D *types message with head down*

All jokes aside, my old Rapture (8532) is @ the Guitar Center off Lee Highway in Virginia and they got it priced as a used piece for $1799.00.

That buttery, smooth rapture tone got kind've irritating after awhile, as i personally felt that it wasn't aggresive enough. Almost kind've 1 dimensional.

But hey Hollowman, don't let us catch you putting a feeler out for yours in the 'for sale' section here, because you know what they say 'a little leaven furments the whole lump' right? lol!

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    It's after eleven... no pics :(

16. I once owned a Pedulla Rapture and I remember it being a really nice feeling instrument. The neck profile was comfortable, the fretwork great, and the body really light. It also contoured quite well.

One thing that I lacked at the time however, and what inevitably led to me selling the instrument, is a taste for Bartolini pickups and electronics. They really are an acquired taste that develops with time.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

+100

Never comprimise your own reality
    Don't desire to be liked or admired
    keep your own counsel
    never need praise, approval, or sympathy
    be true to your own goals

18. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Haha, it's the black one, right? I was there just this past weekend, and I looked at it. I know what you mean about the lack of aggressiveness... one of the things I've been learning about myself lately is that I'm not as big a fan of Bartolini stuff as I thought I was. I'm actually looking into putting different electronics into the bass, although we'll see how that pans out. I do love the feel of the neck though.

19. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Really? Huh, maybe that's why I liked it, then . . . I could've sword there was a little flip-out battery jack on the back of that thing for the pickups . . .

. . . Unless that was the EQ battery, in which case Pedulla needs to be congratulated heartily for NOT BEING STUPID LIKE SO MANY OTHERS and making a giant plate on the back that you have to unscrew just to replace the stupid battery . . . I wish that every bass with active EQ would just have one of those little flip-out battery cases . . . they're so much easier to work with.

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I haven't touched a Pedulla yet, but those are some of the finest looking basses on the planet.