Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G.A.S. Shortage... My new Cort Artisan A5!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dbaser, Sep 28, 2005.

1. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    After having spent the better part of 2 months in and out of countless stores as I took business trips up and down the east coast... eliminating the likes of the Ibanez BTB1205E, MM SR5, MM Bongo, Lakland JO5 and Skylines (55-94 and 55-02) I finally found something when I wasn't even looking. I wandered into my local GC just to chat with an old friend when he pointed up toward the ceiling and said those fateful words..."We just got that Cort in today. Want me to ring it up for ya?" He's really not pushy... as a matter of fact everytime I walk into GC I hand him my Visa card to the amazement of all the part-timers and wannabe guitar gurus.

So enough bantering... lemme tell you about this fine instrument.

The first thing I noticed was the beautiful finish. Natural Grey Oil which of course isn't really grey. It has a little weight to it but not that bad. The neck plays very fast and the sustain is fabulous. Hipshot tuners, Bartolini pickups, 3 band EQ, active/passive switch, screwless battery compartment.

How does it sound? Oh my... it was agressive and then it was mellow. Very nice E.... very, very nice and solid B. Tried to find a dead spot and failed. It just played beautifully. After all the basses I tried, bought and returned... and drooled over.... for some reason this one felt "just right" and on target. I'm sure we have all been there... or will be there at some point in our neverending quest for "The One." :)

In short: No more GAS!

Attached Files:

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Great color choice! My friend's dad has that bass but a different color, and needless to say, it is an amazing bass. :)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    VERY underrated basses.

4. Do you really think so? The reason I ask is that I keep seeing what look like amazing basses from Cort for very good prices. Check this baby out!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

This bass has all of the features of a Lakland Skyline but is a couple of hundred dollars less.

Will this be a good bass?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I played a bass just like this (same finish) at a Guitar Center in the Cleveland area, and it was easily my favorite bass in the store (at least among those I picked up, being me, I played most all of their "nicer" basses! :D). I've played my share of disappointing Corts (though admittedly, they were affordable), but believe me, this is a quality instrument. The finish is really beautiful and somewhat unique. The playability is exceptional, and from what I could tell, it had a very wide range of usable tones. If I weren't already overloaded on basses (with more coming in!), I would have seriously considered picking one up.

Good score! Be sure to report back on how this baby works out!

Tom.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When I played the Cort Curbow 5, I was converted. Cort seriously makes some great basses, especially for people who don't have deep pockets. More people need to check out Cort and other quality inexpensive basses. I see too many people on this forum who end up selling expensive basses at a loss the moment their car breaks down or something else happens.

7. I have to agree, I played that bass at GC in Birmingham and had it not been for the fact that there was a guy there to buy that bass I would have taken it home with me. Amazingly fast playing neck and the tone was just awesome.

8. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    forgive my ignorance guys, but what does the term g.a.s or GASsing mean?

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome = GAS!

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    dr cheese,
    i figured thats what it meant but thanks. oh man do i suffer from that big time. just never heard it called that.
    2 dan armstrongs
    1 dan armstrong london bass-factory fretless as per kent armstrong.
    1 hofner 500/1
    3 peavey foundations
    2 ampeg amg guits.
    1 di pinto mach iv
    svt350/svt4x10 cab

11. milo

milo

Jul 22, 2004
    slovenia
  12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I played one of those at my GC, same reaction. Really nice looking. And I was specifically trying that day to examine and compare neck profiles-- to see how different brands felt for me, especially up by the nut-- and that was the most comfortable of the bunch. Didn't get to plug it in, though.

13. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Played one just like that the other day. Great basses. Very underrated though

14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Guess I should try one out. I agree with a poster above who stated that the Cort Curbow is a fine bass. The only real reason I don;t own it anymore is due to the fact that I don't like "luthite". Still, I wouldn;t mind having that Curbow back...

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, Cort does make quality instruments.

Anyway, congrats dbaser! We'll just wait and see how long the GAS stays gone...muahahaha

16. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    Just an update...

I have played this thing practically non-stop since I got it so I figured I would make a few more comments.

I threw some DR Lo-Riders on it the other day and added a tad of relief since the neck was absolutely flat. I like a little relief in the neck but surprisingly it never buzzed... I just wanted to tweak it a tad. I made some minor adjustments to the string and pup height to my liking and out of nowhere it started to sing. I don't know if there are any Cort reps here at TB, but I'd like to tell them that they make absolutely amazing instruments. It has been such a pleasure to play and worth every penny. I think what astounds me the most is the clarity as well as the smooth sustain. All that from a maple body... who'd a thunk!

Anyway, if you get a chance, play one of these Cort Artisan's. I have to agree with others that have said that Cort's are very underrated... and IMHO it's a shame. BTW... no GAS yet! :)

17. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Looks great. These high-end Corts are damn finbe instruments. :bassist: