Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G.A.S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Jan 20, 2001.

1. I HAVE A SERIOUS CASE OF G.A.S.!!!!! TODAY I THOUGHT OF TRADING ALL THREE OF MY BASSES IN FOR A MUSIC MAN STINGRAY!!!!! I THINK I AM GOING CRAZY!!!! ANYONE ELSE HAVE SIMILAR TROUBLES?????????

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I get GAS all of the time, but I would never think of getting rid of any of my babies.

When I get GAS that bad for something, I usually wait a week or 2 before playing what gave me the severe case of GAS again, and then go back and see if I feel the same way.

Don't do anything that you might regret next week, month or whenever.

But that is your decision, not mine. :)

3. I saw one with the newer silver finish with maple board and mathcing headstock!!! It is like a piece of heaven!!!

4. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Embellisher,

That is the best advice I ever heard. It works for me. Most of the time I come to my senses on the second or third play. If I had more money though, on the 2nd or 3rd play I'd leave with my 2nd or 3rd new instrument! I usually buy casters or new strings or something to distract me and make me feel better. I pretty much realized that I'm gonna get the urge every 6-8 months to buy a new bass or accesory. I don't even think it's neccesarily about getting something better. It's just the excitement of having a new toy. None of us has changed much since we got our first matchbox car! I look at it this way: Get as much and enjoy myself now because if i get married in the next year or so the days of getting what I want when I want WILL BE OVER!

5. embellisher

I love toys!!!

After I pay off my Metro and and get my new fretless 5, I am gonna have to chill for the next year or so.

This $5000 spending in the last 12 months is going overboard!!!

:p

6. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    You've got me doubled so I don't feel so bad! I still have until March when my spree started last year. I'll get it up over $3000. There are some that hear me play that say I should have spent it on lessons!

7. embellisher

LOL!:p

I probably should have too!

My bands need to start gigging more to support my habit!

8. I know that I should slow down, but as I am only 16, I have a very large and disposable income. I could have enough money to buy one brand new in less than 2 months. Pople say I can go a bit overboard, but once I go to college or get married I can say good-bye to buying anything new. I bought my two basses within the last 6 months, and now I am already going to get a new head.

9. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Jim,

You have a nice set up and you're 16. Buy a car! You've got a lot of time to get more stuff. Unless you have some kind of trust fund and then I say go for it. Listen to me talk. What a hypocrite! I'm gonna drive my '92 Buick until it falls apart so I can get more stuff! :)

10. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Oh yeah, forget getting something new. Play it new and buy it used.

11. I plan on driving my 1980 Malibu Classic Station wagon till its whells drive off. The other night I had like 4 girls in it with me, so I guess you chould call it a chick magnet!!!

12. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Be careful. You start hanging around with all those women and next thing you know you'll be spending all your gear money on them!

13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hehe.. I bought my 3 Basses in the last 6 months too!!
    I dont have too much dispossable income.. but I do seriously suffer from G.A.S.

The worst thing is ..
    THAT I BECAME A DEALER!!! I mean.. I now have Dealer prices for Carvin, Warwick, Ampeg, Crate, and many other brands. That allows me to sell equipment where I live (Guayaquil-Ecuador)
    So... I FOUND THE CURE FOR GAS!!! BECOME A MUSIC DEALER!! You will have the chance to literally OWN anything.. (of course , before selling it)

:)

14. My babe magnet is a 81 Mercury Zephyr ZR. I has a big smash behind the driver's door, the e brake, the blinkers, and defogger don't work. I can't even re-inspect it! But, I got a brand new F Bass, a Stigray 5 F-less, a new Eden Navigator preamp, a WT 1000 power amp, a D215XLT & Acme cab, an 18 and 3 tube amps. So this maybe qualifies for a 12 step program.

15. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Sometimes fate tempts you. I've been dealing with my urges really well and I found a great deal on a Cirrus with the exact wood I want that I was having trouble finding. Damn fate!

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't see a problem here... it's all about priorities:D

17. Now I think that I want a Fender Custom Shop P bass like the one that Chi Cheng uses. One knob-that is for me....
    Of course it will be right after I get a Ampeg SVT3-Pro..