Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G.A.S

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DubDubs, Jan 19, 2005.

1. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Do you ever get G.A.S for instruments you don't play (or don't play anymore)? I would never ever even think about stopping the bass but I've got gas for a keyboard, some drums and some recording gear. Do any of you guys get this kind of G.A.S?

2. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Yes, I had it bad for a drumset and synth, and I don't play either. Guess what I just setup though? A nice new Ludwig Accent set :) now The only thing I have GAS for is a nice acoustic guitar, a ric, a victor bailey signature, and a synth :(

3. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Looks like we have similar problems. The reason I want to start playing keys is our band needs some keyboard and bass isn't too far from keyboard. I also want to learn to play a few instruments to learn more about music and be a versitile musicion. The reason I want drums is becuase drums are fairly fun and I like building stuff and I want to build a snare for me and the drummer in the band to use and I thought "if I like building the snare why not build an entire set to replace my POS kit that I have now."

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play a bit of guitar. I am badly GASsing for a real nice acoustic, even though I wouldn't probably play it much. Trying to decide between a 6 string and a 12 string.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I gas all the time for guitars (must get a Rickenbacker 12-string someday) and keyboards, especially vintage synths and keyboards. The trouble is I actually do play guitar and keyboards in addition to bass, so that makes me want this stuff all the more. I've been lustily looking at drum kits as well. Help.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm like Kurt. I GAS for keys and guitar too, because I actually PLAY some keys and guitar. I never used to GAS for drums because I had no urge to play them. Then my daughter told me she wanted to learn drums. ANd since I was already trying to build up a decent home studio, I started thinking: "You know? A drumset WOULD be pretty useful in a studio, after all. I should get one of those too." My (then ten-year-old)daughter had no opinion about what kind of drums, but cares about what they looked like. She wants the to match my hand percussion set. So I'm considering a five-piece set, natural-finish Conaways with black hardware.

I am okay for guitar GAS right now becaue of my Taylor 12-string. But I am wanting a decent keyboard set up. I am thinking either a Kurzweil SP-88x or a Yamaha SO8 with a 61-key softer feeling synth above it, possibly an Alesis QS6 or my old keyboardists Roland W30.

7. i do, its for one of these bad boys.
    [​IMG]
    its an esraj...you can hear one in tool's "reflections"

i've been getting in a bit of indina music...i want a tabla as well, but i am not very good at it!

8. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I had GAS for a electric guitar for the longest time, and then my brother came home from college, and brought his guitar. So that was kinda pushed back, but now that he's leaving again I NEED a guitar. I guess next paycheck is going towards some sort of strat, but that pushes the ric I've wanted back a little, so I don't know what to do!!!!

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Drums. Actually, once I'm postive the cab I shipped did so without problem, I'm probably going to sell another cab and my fretless to finance drummerating.

Unless I'm so sorely tempted by a bass of some sort that I freak out and lose all conviction, but that's unlikely.

Probably going to be a Rondo kit, Remo heads, I'll make due with the cymbals that come with the kit, and a double bass pedal (probably a blem DW), and see what happens. Should be entertaining, if nothing else.

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I ended up satisfying my keyboard joneses with an Edirol PCR-80 MIDI controller and a handful of softsynths/VST instruments (Arturia's Minimoog V, GForce's M-Tron mellotron emulator, Native Instruments' B4 Hammond organ emulator, and I'm also considering Native Instruments' Kompakt sampler (for piano, Fender Rhodes, etc) but I've spent enough money on keyboard stuff for now!). For what I want to do, this is ideal (since I'm a vintage keys nut and a lot of modern synth sounds don't really do it for me) and was more attractive (and cheaper) than getting a full blown flagship synth/sampler workstation (I thought long and hard about getting a less-expensive, performance-oriented keyboard like an Alesis QS or Roland Juno-D, but I had to come to the realization that most of the sounds on those keyboards didn't appeal to me too much.) This setup works fine for my home studio. Gigging with this stuff would be something else (I would have to invest in a decent laptop!), but I have no plans on it.

11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh, don't even get me started on OTHER GAS......

I play acoustic a lot these days, and sold my electric guitar a few months back. I've got major GAS for a Les Paul or ES335, or a PRS 24-fret, or a Fender '72 Thinline Tele. Those are just the electrics....

As far as acoustics, it's easy. McPherson. Partly because I've got relatives there. They let me play all the prototype models and everything. Man, they're sweet. But at $4 K a pop......

Drums. Man, any drumset that's not a P.O.S. My band's old drummer just started building custom sets. Basically he gets DW shells and puts everything else together. I was planning on having him build me one this summer or fall, but he enlisted in the Air Force........ dang. Plus, that puts me out a drummer (and a good one at that! He's got a Mapex endorsement, and he's 17).

Crap, now I've gone and gotten off on a tangent. Well, that's it for now.

12. I generally get boner'd up when I think about a 6-piece Orange County Drum kit with a 30 ply vented snare, gibraltar rack, Zildjian A's all around, UFIP splashes, Wuhan china's, Pork Pie accessory snare (11") and a Pork Pie throne, DW5000 double bass pedal, DW hihat stand...

I can barely keep a beat...but that's what I want.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not bad. Same here.

I want a Gretsch Catalina birch 5 piece (with as burly toms as they offer), Gibraltar rack and hardware, Axis Longboard double bass pedal, Zildjian ride, Meinhl everwhere, Remo heads, and maybe an Allegra snare (I hear those are absolutely badass).

14. Someday, brother...someday.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My someday might be sooner than later. I'm certainly hoping so. I need stick beaty.

16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've had seriouse GAS for a mandolin for about 3 years now. But funds are just too damned short.

Maybe this Christmas...

:)

Joe.

17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Banjo and a cowbell. Oh the mighty music we would creat

18. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Just bought a cowbell for the set, greatest purchase ever!