G and D strings too bright

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Jun 29, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Does anyone else find the G strings they use and sometimes the D strings to be too bright? On the GHS Bass boomers I'm using, the E and A strings are deep and bass like sound well together but when I go to the G and D strings, it sounds like I'm using a different instrument, they are so bright. I love these strings though. I used Ernie Ball Slinkys before, I liked them too (but there was too much noise) but the G string was bright and "twangy" compared to the rest. Maybe all strings are like this, but in a band it sounds like crap for me. As soon as I go to the D string, my whole band looks at me and thinks I am off or something cause they actually hear me and I'm sticking out above the other instruments. Help solve this string problem I'm having! Tell me what would be a good set of strings that sound good all around.
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    try cutting back on your treble boost, maybe? or maybe try lowering the treble side of your pickup(s)...maybe your output on that side is a little high...
  3. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    My treble is turned all the way down already. I will try lowering the pickup, though.
  4. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    could they make the screws any smaller? :mad:
  5. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I've noticed that at times too and wondered if I should drop my pickups on that side. Any techs reading please respond.
  6. I'm not a tech, but I would say instead of lowering the pickup on the treble side (which will give you the same sound from those thinner strings, just lower volume), try to raise the action on the D and G string so they don't clank against the frets. It's probaly that which gives you the trebly noise. If the volume of the thinner strings is getting too low when you raise them, just raise the pickup on that side.

Good luck!
  7. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    How exactly would you raise the action, I've never done that. If you could link me to a site that would tell me, that would be great. It will come in handy in the future even if it doesnt solve my current problem. thanks.