G.B Cimador Double Bass Concerto

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Snakewood, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Does anyone know of a recording of G.B Cimador's Double Bass Concerto in G major?
  2. kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    I don't think a recording exists. Massimo Giorgi recorded a Larghetto by Cimador with I Solisti Aquilani that was released by Koch. I'm not sure if this is the same piece since I've never looked at the music, but I don't remember ever coming across a recording of Cimador's concerto.
  3. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    pity! it's a really great piece of music. A nice addition to the classical repertoire. I'd say it's a bridging point between thr Capuzzi and Dittersdorf Concerti.
  4. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    Hi there,

Actually, to my knowledge of CD does exist of this concerto. Im my copy of the sheet music (pub. Yorke Edition), there is a little note that says there is one available, I aint got it with me right now, but I will check when I get home and post the details for you.

5. kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    Oh, you're probably right actually. I think a recording exists of Lucas Drew playing it along with the Capuzzi and Pichl concertos.
  6. Gerd Reinke recorded this piece with the Cairo Symphoy Orchestra. The CD also contains the Capuzzi (D major) the Dragonetti Andante e Rondo and the Dragonetti concerto in A. It's available from his website - http://www.doublebasscds.com/cd11-12.htm. No idea about the quality of playing, though.
  7. I have it on a CD Bottesini, Cimador, Dragonetti, Lorenzetti.
    Interpreti Veneziani, with Gianni Amadio, DB.
    Not brilliant at all, it must be interesting to compare with Gerd Reinke.
    I guess both go to the freak museum.
  8. My mistake, I probably was thinking of other recording, this one is OK.
    It is definitely no 1st-class recording, but it's not bad. For example the string accompaniment is much better than what we usually hear on bass records. The sound of the soloist is OK. In the 1st mov. of Dragonetti he plays that strange F# in the scale of C Major, as printed in the score and like Gary Karr ! On other places I miss interpretation, but there are good things. Probably much better than Gerd Reinke (from what I know of other Reinke records).