1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G-B SHUTTLE: Negative Impressions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbwdog, Mar 11, 2008.

1. The more I read, the more I like, but that has worked against me in the past, too!
    I'll be interested to hear if anyone has a bad experience with either the 6.0 or 3.0.......(other than the "retina searing blue lights")

2. Yes. I have a distinct lack of one.

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I really am trying to find one. As soon as I do I will let you know.

4. About the only thing I can think of (based on my Neo Pak experience), is the 'all or nothing' on/off filters. These types of filters always seem voiced too extreme for me, and I greatly prefer the variable filter design on amps like the Thunderfunk, Markbass, etc.

I also prefer multiple midrange controls (low and hi mid, etc. like on the Markbass, Thunderfunk, Eden, Mesa amps, etc.) versus a single semi-parametric mid contol (like on the Shuttle, EBS, 502, etc.). There is something cool about varying the ratio of low mids to bass and hi mids to treble that really allows a head to be nicely matched with any cab.

Also, not a negative at all, but you need to determine if having a tube in your signal path is a positive or negative. Personally, for my tone goals (clean and quick), it's a negative, since at least on the Neo Pak (similar to the Eden) you could always hear that subtle tube tone in there (of course, that's not a negative at all if that's the kind of tone you want).

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I guess the single mid control isn't a negative for me be due to the fact that the mid control on my bass is a different freq. so with the 2 mid controls working in harmony it's a non issue.

6. +1... again, all of this comes down to personal taste. I've never really dug most three band on-board EQ's (actually, none of them at this point), primarily due to the fact that the bass and treble shelving points are typically widened to 'make room' for the mid control frequency or frequencies. The mid control onboard Q's usually seem too wide for me also.

I see very little 'negatives' on any of these new micro heads by Genz and Markbass, but there are differences that would result in some greatly prefering one over the other. That's a cool thing, since they don't really compete... voicing, etc. is different enough to attract different players with different tone goals.

While some micro heads seem to have issues (underpowered, etc.), the MB and Genz stuff seems to just kill (those who have directly A/B'd the LMII/F1 and 6.0 on gigs indicate the output and fullness is quite similar, with the MB being SS clean, and obviously the 6.0 having the hybrid thing going on. Nice!!!!

7. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    I dig what you're saying. I think alot of that can be a neg if you eq a lot. The basses you play also has an effect if for no other reason, how much eq'ing you actually need to do

8. +1... mix and match!

9. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    I the only negatives that have been noted that I still haven't addressed yet but will are the slippery feet--if only the amp were heavier, this wouldn't be a problem for me :D--and the readability of the lines on the knobs. Very minor.

10. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Ahhhh, the lines. I darkened mine in with a sharpie. The I told Genz about it. The feet weren't an issue for me. I did have to put 1/2 felt feet on it so it would clear the handle of the 112 cabs. On the other side if that, it doesn't slide around.