Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Mar 4, 2001.

1. I was wondering if anyone here plays a G-bass (PEavey) especially the 4 string. I was wondering how it plays, and sounds, and if the Graphite neck is very fast. It seems like a good deal because of the Graphite neck and low price. Any thoughts would be nice. Thanks in advance!
  2. I don't play one. Find a local dealer and see if they have it so you can try it yourself dude. =)
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Bass Player gave it really high marks. It won their "Top Tone" and "Best Buy" awards, for whatever that's worth...
  4. I read the review that BP did on the bass, but I havent seen one in any of my local stores recently. I did see a five, but it was sold by the next time I was in the store.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I didn't like the 5, but the 4 is a really nice bass for the price.

I just didn't understand how Peavey could make a 35" composite neck 5 string with a floppy B, but they managed to on the GV.

Or maybe it is those Cirrus strings that it has on it.
  7. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi there jim.

I have owned a G-Bass 4 string for 6 months now and am very happy with it. In fact, I sold a Warwick Thumb to get this (call me mad, I guess).

I have found it to be fast, fluid and exremely good value. It is built well, balances nicely, the electronics are superb, and it sounds great. However, there are several caveats:

1. The neck heel is quite big. I do get up that end of the neck fairly often, so this is a quibble for me. But hey, no worse than on any Fender (and 22 frets - just right for me).

2. The tone is fantastic but there really is only ONE tone, albeit a very flexible, well-rounded, and snappy/crisp one. This is NOT a P-Bass/J-Bass - much more 'hi-fi' sounding.

I have also found the bass to be very sensitive to string type - with TI jazz flats, a mellow and responsive 'thud' flat sound. With Elites steel strings - snappy, good for slap but lacking in fingerstyle warmth. With the Peavey nickels that came with it - warm, well-rounded, and good for both fingerstyle and slap. I think either the TI flats or nickels will be the ones that stay on.

After owning a few high-end Warwicks, I was surprised to find I liked this so much (and graphite!) However, it is very ergonomic and inexpensive. (My main gripes with the Warwicks were about ergonomics and neck dive.) For the price, a fabulous bass which has a unique sound.

BTW, I am currently getting round the 'single pickup problem' by installing a bridge piezo system from Graphtech. If anyone's interested I'll let them know how I get on.....