Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KeithPas, Dec 5, 2001.

1. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I am trying to get a Peavey G Bass off of ebay with the intention of having it defretted. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular bass and does anyone have any thoughts on defretting one? Thanks

2. I've played one and the tone really didn't inspire me. Something feels wrong with the pickup placement--it's too much like a Precision and not enough like a Music Man for my tastes in a single-pickup bass. However, I was playing through a rather blah Hartke rig, so YMMV.

As for defretting, I think it'd make a wicked fretless, since it has a pau ferro fingerboard.

3. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I own one and it is decidedly not like a Pbass-(I also have a Fender PJ). It is its own beast; rather midrange punchy almost to a fault- it is hard to dial in the smooth sound. BUT it has a terrific, slim, low action neck with a fast feel and a Pau Ferro fingerboard. The electronics are 18 volt (2 batteries) and they are dead quiet. It cuts thru live very well. Lightweight! Bass Player gave it a fine review but it is not as versatile tonally as they said it was. Construction is excellent, especially for this price range. The graphite neck (why don't they call it carbon fiber?) is part of its tone. It doesn't sound quite like a Stingray either... it's a fine bass and I'm very fond of it. My usual amp is an SWR WM15 so of course this must be considered when discussing the tone.