Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G C G C F help...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Obsolex, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok, I got CGCF tuned fine, But when it comes to the [G]CGCF, I don't know how to tune it right... Is it like drop D to the C as the G[C]GCF is the the GC[G]CF?
    So do I tune the [G]CGCF on the 5th fret, or on the 7th?
    Also tell me if I have this right:
    G is 1 steps down?
    D is 1 steps down?
    A is 1 steps down?
    E is 2 steps down?
    B is 2 steps down?

thanks guys______-------_--------___--------

2. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    It would depend on which octave you want the G in. I'm going to assume you want it in the octave below the B, since G above B would probably snap the string. If you want to detune to G, then you'd have to go 4 half-steps(or two whole steps) below B.

Bb, A, Ab, G.

If your B string was tuned to G, then the 9th fret would be E. So tune the 9th fret on your B string to open E.

You're right about the steps.

3. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Thanks, but what fret is the same note on G (5) as C (4)?
    Is G like drop D to the C or standard to it?

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    It's easy, just count the notes on your string G.

G 0
    G#1
    A 2
    A#3
    B 4
    C 5

So if you had your E string tuned to C, you'd tune your 5th fret on G to the open C and you're in drop G.

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I thought G 5 was drop d to C 4 as C is to G 3...

6. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Ok. Now are you meaning to say, if your E was tuned to C and your B was still at B. Just count the notes down.

If your E string was at C, then that means to be in G, your 5th fret on B needs to be C, right?

C 5
    B 4
    Bb3
    A 2
    Ab1
    G 0

In order to accomplish this, you have to tune down. As it is right now, your 1st fret on B is C. So tune down four steps. Experiment. See which notes match up and where. It'd be the 9th fret on your B, if you were tuning and your 4th string was in E. Since your E string is dropped down 4 half steps, you have to go up four half-steps on the B. In layman's terms, that means put your finger on 5th fret B and strum both strings while you fiddle with the B tuning peg until they sound alike. Or, take the easy way and put your tuner in bb mode, then tune to Bbb on the second fret of your B string.

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    No...
    CGCF is drop D Down one step... I though GCGCF was a drop D of GCGC, and CGCF... If that makes any sense though...

8. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. In GCetc, B is dropped down two whole steps, and E is also dropped down two whole steps. So they'd be a 5th apart, just like from E to A and so on.

9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Keep a 5 string tuned standard!!! Its just easier that way. Learn your musical alphabet and apply it to your instrument. A drop(full step down) from C is Bb. Which usually sounds like crap on a 4 string.

Strings are only meant to go down a full step up or down, unless you Michael Manring and own a special tuning bass.

--s

10. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Ok I got it, thanks...