1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G,day from Oz

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Cropduster, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Cropduster

Cropduster

Jan 22, 2017
    Brisbane
    Hello all, I've just bought my third Bass, the others are long gone, i have tried twice to learn to play and failed, dismally! first effort was well before the internet was a common thing and i bought an instruction book and thought i could follow along, nope............

Second attempt was a little more dedicated, same book, the internet was reasonably new and i didn't own a computer but the library had one and i found some help there but frankly, not much. The last straw for me was two teachers i tried, both tried to convert me to guitar, both said it was "inevitable". I quit, feeling both frustration and dismay.

This time it's different, honest! i'm older (much!) i have a better understanding of the commitment needed to get to a stage where i can at least enjoy playing alone and hopefully getting better, i have the internet at my disposal along with the thousands of tutorials on you tube, free lesson channels and of course, the TalkBass forum.

Thanks to the forum BTW, i was looking for a reasonable Bass and through reviews and opinions here and elsewhere i settled on a Sterling by MusicMan Ray 34, Vintage quilted maple top in amber, i've always loved the style of the stingray and this was on sale at a music shop so....

I have a Landmark 60 combo i picked up second hand that is immaculate, something i can hopefully grow into along with the Ray.
    Be prepared for plenty of stupid questions but mostly i'll be lurking and soaking up what i can glean from past threads/posts, i hope to become a contributing member of your community in time
    so cheers!
    Paul.

Diztortion and Oddly like this.
  2. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Welcome from the Wisconsin Bassplayers Club
    Duke

3. Yes, welcome. And do chime in.

4. Cropduster

Cropduster

Jan 22, 2017
    Brisbane
    Thanks guys, i appreciate the welcome!

5. It's Australia Day down in Oz already.

Diztortion likes this.
  6. Cropduster

Cropduster

Jan 22, 2017
    Brisbane
    oh yeah! a day off, lamb on the barby, a few drinks and some god awful practice loud enough to annoy the neighbours.....

Killed_by_Death and Diztortion like this.
  7. Hey man, it's good to see a fellow Aussie. Old, young, big, small, prodigal, god-awful, it's all the same - welcome to the place where we tend to spend a lot of time discussing practice regimes when we should be employing them.

Cropduster and theduke1 like this.
  8. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Welcome to you as well from the Wisconsin Bassplayers Club
    Duke

Diztortion likes this.
  9. Thank you sir. That is a gorgeous green bass by the way.