G-Force problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Reff, Mar 7, 2005.

1. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I tried a TC Electronics G-Force today. I like it very much, but there is a strange problem. When I set the pitchshifter to track bass ( it's set to track an octave below - like a normal octaver ) and no delay time it makes a strange digital noise. However if I then set the delay time to 8 milliseconds ( ms ) the noise goes away.

Does anybody know if this is a problem with my G-Force or is this problem general for all G-Force units ( or maybe other brands of multi FX )???
  2. I don't have a G-force, never tried one, but the problem you describe is characteristic of digital effects. The G-Force is a block of electrical diodes, microchips, doodads, and gizmos. Even at the speed of light, the original bass signal takes time (albeit fractions of a second) to pass into the circuitry, get transposed, and fed to the output. With the ability of the G-Force to do so many things very well, the speed at which pitch is shifted accurately may take 8 thousandths of a second.

The 'digital noise' is most likely the G-Force producing a sound that it hasn't had time to hear yet because the original signal hasn't reached that point in the circuitry. But YOU want it NOW, so it gives you something.

It took me nearly 100,000 milliseconds to type this.

Anybody with a G-Force have the real answer?
  3. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    It is a known problem with pitchshifters. I have the Gforce, yes it does the same. It can be removed by winding up the delay, or by switching the P/S to guitar mode.. but of course this changes the ability to go REAL LOW.
    I found that updating the firmware helped alot, you can do this FOR FREE by contacting TC. but you may have to purchase the card to put the software update on to. best look at the TC site for details.
  4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    what version upgrade do you have ???

I think the latest version is 2.04 - and I think the machine I have tested maybe needs an update or two. So the question is if the newest updates makes a difference with the Pitchshifter ??