1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G.I.V.E. me a break!! (GK content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So last night I am at full-volume band practice and all the sudden I start hearing weird squealing every now and then from my rig. Freaking out since it's a BRAND NEW GK MB500, I shut things off as soon as I could. It happened about twice (even after swapping some cables) and we deduced that it was some weird patch cables on my effects board giving me trouble. I was a bit sad, because I use an incredibly aggressive tone that still has some solid bottom-end (don't ask me how, but it defies all logic and cuts through no problem), and I believed that this was achievable only with my pedals.

So I plugged in and used the G.I.V.E. (Gate-Induced Valve Effect), located on the 2nd channel of the MB500. Had the gain at a normal setting, cranked the "Boost" knob to about 12 o'clock and played a couple of riffs. I noticed the drummer's eyes widening as mine did, it sounded incredibly close to the tone I got from all my pedals....to the point that the guitarist said "Man, maybe it was those GK heads getting that sick tone all along!" Before now, I used the 700RB-II with the boost knob at about 9 or 10 o'clock, paired that with my Idiotbox Blower Box or Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian. While I'm keeping all those pedals, I was floored at how much aggression I got simply with that 2nd channel on the MB500 of all things (figured the 700RB-II would handle this kind of thing better).

Dude...I freakin love that company so much lol

Afc70, Bob Clayton, TinyE and 17 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep, they're good! ;)

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Welcome grashopper; you have seen the light!
    These amps aren't great for everything but they do some things VERY well and rock music is on of them.
    The same amp can be used for much quieter and softer material with some minor tweeks to volume, boost, and master.
    For the record, I prefer my RB1001 over the MBF800.

BrentSimons, Spidey2112 and jeff7bass like this.
  4. I'm often telling folks they don't need a drive or boost pedal if they have enough gain on their amp.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Should have tried it with boost above noon... ;)

6. 1) use the EBS flat patch cables. All others are crud by comparison

2) GK is good gear. I run an MB112 and MBP112. Can get stupid loud and sound good.

Mpike, jeff7bass and heynorm like this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    So

8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I don't use the crunch channel (or crunch) but agree with you about the company. The MB amps are something else.

9. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    GK's manuals say to have the boost knob at noon by default and then adjust to taste from there.

son_of_mogh likes this.
  10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    You should have cranked the boost on your RB head to really see what RB amps do growl wise. Nothing against D class or MB amps, but RB amps are a league of their own IMO. It's that power amp that does that awesome thing. I agree, GK rules, and I've been using them for years and years. I don't think there's a genre I couldn't do with my 2001RB, so I disagree about them not being great for everything. I say they're great for EVERYTHING.

blmeier7, Afc70, son_of_mogh and 2 others like this.
  11. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I thought this was going to be a GK bashing thread from the title.

I have a 400RB III 210 combo that I have in my practice room for quick connect practice/jam moments.

Sounds great when I put the boost knob at about 1:00 or 2:00 o’clock to get a nice rocking P bass tone.

Funny thing is I am contemplating pulling the head out of the combo so I can use it as a portable head with my other cabs, with a fabricated top of coarse.

12. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    My 212II combo can downright get dirty as f¥€k! I don’t even use my Volt Thrower with it anymore. Same for my 800RB

13. One of the great things about those RB heads- that magic Boost knob!

Hearing Scot Soto playing a P-bass through an RB400 into an SVT810 on Live at the house of Blues is just right; not too loud, not too soft. It sits against two Marshalls half stacks perfectly.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Afc70, bobomatic and jwindham like this.
  14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Shorts on stage!!!!!!:banghead:

basscapes likes this.
  15. Nothing wrong with that- if Chris Squire can do it (Yes "House of Yes, at the house of blues)...

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I really wish someone would have told me to remove the shot glasses from the shelf, before making these adjustments...

... I really like the G.I.V.E./Boost circuitry on my MB500... thanks, GK!

17. I thought this thread was about Kit Kat Bars...

:laugh:

18. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    GK, all day, every day.
    IMG_0369.jpg

BrentSimons, munkeyfish and gregmon79 like this.
  19. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    These are the stories I love to hear. I'm a pedal head. Totally admit it. I love them. But I too have had those moments where you're not using any pedals or it's a bare minimum and it's like, "WOW...my tone...it's so.....so SICK!" haha That's what's up.

I remember I got this one time with a pedal. A Fuzzro Rat Tail. I stomped it and my guitarist looked at me like :jawdrop: haha It was great.

20. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

Interesting. I got an MBF800 some years ago and never took to it. Got an 1001rbII recently and actually read the manual when I could not get the sound I was aiming for. The gain/boast/volume thing is exactly backwards to anything else I have used. Will be trying it on the MBF800 with channel B and see if that brings some love. I am sold on the 1001 but it is hard to use except in larger venues. The 1001rbII is a hairy scary monster. Thanks for the thread.

Plucky The Bassist and Jim C like this.