1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G-K 1001RB as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by YosemiteSam, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    If I use a 1001RB as a preamp (effects send to effects return of another amp) with no speaker attached to the 1001RB, will it damage the amp? Does it have the ability to shut off the speaker output?

I've been wanting "the G-K sound" for a while, and was just offered up a surprise deal on a trade, which has the net effect of giving me the amp for a decent price. But I don't currently have a standalone external cab, so was thinking of using the G-K as described above.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yes, it will work fine without damaging the amp. Just keep in mind that the GK sound has a lot to do with the poweramp too.

Do you have a combo amp now? Are you just plug it's speaker into the GK an bypass the combo amp entirely?

3. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    Thanks for the reply! Is the output switchable, or does it sense a (lack of) load?

I have a Fender Rumble 500 2x10 combo, and it doesn't provide access to the speaker connection. The "G-K as preamp" thing would be a temporary until I can get a separate cab. I'd really like to go the Fearless F112 route, but need to scrape together money for that.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Most SS amps out there can be safely run into an infinite impedance, no load. There is no switching needed.

I would put the rumble up for sale and use the proceeds to buy a good cabinet.

5. YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

Jun 8, 2005
    Chatham, MA
    Thanks for the info. And yes, that's exactly what I plan to do. I'm trying to sell a bunch of gear and scrape together enough for the Greenboy cab.