Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G-K 1001RB-II vs. Kustom Groove 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Feb 7, 2006.

1. G-K 1001RB-II

42 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. Kustom Groove 1200

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. Which one do you think would work better in a metal band pushing one or two Tech21 B410 cabs? Thus far, I'm leaning more towards the G-K, although I like the Groove1200 as well.

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I voted G-K. I have a small G-K combo and my Warwick through it gives me that modern "rip paper off walls" tone that would slice through swimmingly in a metal mix.

However, I prefer the warmth and fatness of my Ashdown amp, and the Kustom amp (I've played through a friend's Kustom combo amp) has more of that thick and fleshy "old school" warmth and fatness.

So if you want thick and fleshy, go Kustom. If you want rip-paper-off-walls go G-K.

3. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I have the 1001. It can't be beat.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Do a search. I did an A/B comparo of these two heads side by side about a year ago. I used the same cabs, basses, etc. Bottom line, the Groove Bass edged out the GK (not by much, but it won).

5. Quadzilla

And before anymore of you comment and say that one is better than the other, be sure that you've played both!!!

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've played both in a store, and I liked the tone of the Kustom better. I have to admit I'm much more of an 800rb fan than the 1001/2000 models, though.

7. Does it count if i've owned both?

Dincrest pretty much summed it up so i have not much more to add besides i prefer the GK sound. In fact I sold my 1200 because of the GK. Both nice though, neither is a 'wrong desicion', just different.

8. Quadzilla

Agreed. The GK is lighter and has a more modern, hi-fi tone. The Kustom has more power and has more of a vintage tone and does a pretty good job of simulating tube grit with the gain cranked. Both have their pros and cons and are truly different. It's a matter of what your tastes are. Both are GREAT budget heads!

9. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I have, and stick to what I say. GK is better IMO. As for being budget......Just because my GK head is $750 doesn't mean it's not better than an Eden or a EAI. MY taste is with the GK, and I have played both the others. I spent months travelling to test different heads & cabinet combos. I settled on the GK rig because I feel it's better for me than the others. Not because I couldn't afford the others either.

10. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I've owned both....I had issues at 1st with the GK with a GK RBH cab set up.....but patience and noodling around with it for awhile yielded what I think is probably the best tone I've extracted from any of my basses since I've started up in this business 35 years ago.

The Kustom Groove Bass 1200 is a nice rig. I purchased one out of a supplier's B-stock (big mistake) and it died on me within the month. Up until I purchased the GK late last November, I was really considering buying another Kustom. It did sound that good and it was easy to dial in a great tone.

BUT, the GK has really introduced me to new sonic turf that I've traditionally avoided in the past. I traditionally preferred a tube or at the very least and tube/hybrid tone. This made the GK a real surprise for me.

To sum up, I really like the GK much better personally. Yes they're both great, both different, but the GK to my ears has more sonic versatility which was probably the biggest deciding factor for me. Since then, I've added a Sunn 2x15 in tandem with the GK 115RBH. What a blend of old school warmth and paint peeling tones I'm getting with this thing. I know I made the right choice for my application. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
    Hammer

11. Well, I think that I've decided on the G-K. I was leaning that way anyway, and I've read more than a few reports of the Groove 1200 being unreliable. Hopefully I'll have the rig in a couple of weeks.

12. Quadzilla

A few of the early run Groove 1200's had cold solder probs, but they got it under control real fast. If you are buying a new one, you almost certainly would not get one with the cold solder issue. Believe it or not, there were issues with the early run GK1001RBII's also (check reviews on harmony central, several of them fried). So both amps literally had an early run prob and are ok now, so one is not better than the other in that department...

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 Quadzilla, in fairness to these two products; all new products have some sort of reliability issue. its just what happens when something is a new product.

Besides, that's what the warranty is for, right?;)