Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

g/k 800rb help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbassfreak, May 10, 2001.

1. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    if your running one 4 x 10 cab with this head should you turn the high volume down..max the low end volume and control the volume with the master..thats what the manual said..i find the cabinet distorts sometimes..im wondering if thats the problem..its a ampeg classic cab..60 percent of the time it great..but sometimes it becomes real distorted..iv tried other cab and the same thing happens..just had the head serviced
    and it happened again at my last gig..its horrible being on stage wondering if its gonna happen ..any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanxxx

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've been playing GKs for over 15 years. I've owned the 400B, 800RB, and now I have a 1001RB.

For clean punchy sound pushing a full range cab: run the master low on full, the preamp volume (the left most volume nob) between 9 and 12 o'clock. BTW, I never run the preamp volume past 1 o'clock. If you need additional volume, turn the boost nob up slightly (I never ran it higher than 10 o'clock).

You'll be getting a full 300 watts of power if your cab is 4 ohms. If it's 8 ohms, you be getting about 200 watts, I think.

Good luck and enjoy.

3. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    thanxx...have you had a distotion problem with any of your amps..or is it possibly from the settings im using..ill try and run it like that ..hopefully it wont distort

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Probably your settings.

On GKs, if you run the preamp volume higher than the master volume, you will get distortion.