Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G-K amps and Cabs, opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, May 10, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Looking at a 1001RB 750watt bi amped Gallien Krueger rig with 2 4x10 SBX cabs

Anyone have any opinons/likes/dislikes about this kinda rig?

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I played through that rig when I was at the factory last month. Great sound, though I prefer the RBH cabs. The 1001RB is a great head-- wish I could afford one.
    You may want to look at the new NEO cabs. I'm not sure if they're out yet, but they sound incredible. I played the 1001RB into a 1x12/1x15 stack.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    GK amps - thumbs up.

GK cabs... well, they're not as bad as Hartke's, but they're not as good as some others. Maybe think about replacing the drivers "eventually". GK cabs are definitely okay for temporary use though. If you're using a 5 string, try not to drive the low B too hard, and you'll be fine.

4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    I own a G-K stack containing a 1001 head (the old one) and two 4x10 RBH cabs. In my opinion it´s an awesome stack. I wouldn´t trade it for anything else. It´s loud, punchy and warm sounding. I play a lot of rock, pop and funk, and it works for every style of music I can imagine.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1. Their heads are great, but there are better cabs out there for the same price

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    so possible trade out the cabs with mabye an Ampeg SVT 8x10?

i play mostly hard rock/metal for stage shows, hopefully getting involved with some prog stuff soon, im a jazz funk player by nature : )

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    whats the genral view on avatar cabs? junk?

for the price they seem like ass, but there speakers seem to be coming from some good names

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The Ampeg 810 is very heavy, expensive and doesnt like lows; however the Avatar cabs got great reviews hre, do a search and you'll see

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    yea, just started readin reviews on them....

lookin at setting up something like a 4x10,2x10,2x12 see what kinda price he would give me : P

10. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The 4x10 Avatar is not what you would call deep, it sounds pretty good, but it doesn't have big lows. I used to EQ mine like some sort of reggae god and it made the B string kinda useless but recently I've gone to setting my amp flat and now that thing screams B-G no problems. But if you want deep bass look to something else. Even their 2x12 is only tned to 50 Hz which isn't even the low E.... Well, you'll hear the harmonic, not the fundamental but that'll be the case with most cabs. Don't get me wrong, I love my Avatar, it just depends on what kind of sound you want whether the Avatars will work for you. Good luck bro, you cannot go wrong with Avatar, everyone who has one, or usually more, of their cabs will tell you they're a tremendous value and good cabs but don't have tremendous lows. Go get em killer.

11. GK cabs handle the low B as good as any cabs out there, in most cases, much better. Where GK beats out everything else is in the punch and definition. The RBH and SBX cabs are completely different and would apeal to different kinds of players. Flea and Duff McKagan prefer the RBH because they're loud and punchy. while Jimmy Earl and Dewayne Pate prefer the SBX because they are warm with a tight bottom. Another way GK cabs win out is that they don't break up as soon as other cabs of the same power rating do. And coming out very soon the new neo cabs are hands down the best i've heard from anyone and the new 810SBX has incredible tone.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I play thru a 1001RB 2x10 combo with a 1x15 RBH cab. I find it clean and articulate, lows are clean and not muddy. GK cabs rolloff at 50hz thats why they don't sound as low to the bassist using them but you must remember, what the crowd hears is something different. I have played thru alot of stuff (high end and low) and the bassist that sound the best to me are the rigs that are not muddy on the stage. For if it's muddy on stage (those deeeeeeeep lows) it will be muddy out there. But then again some bass players like to hear the windows rattle!

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Hey Dan,
    Is the new 8-10 sealed.? And, is it plywood.? I have been avoiding the Ampeg because of the pressboard construction. Thanks

14. Yes. It's made from poplar. No ports. We just received the final revision to the speakers. All I can say is you guys HAVE to hear this thing.

15. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I took my speakers out of the GK1001RB 2x10 combo, just to see what construction was like. It is very well made. The plywood is great quality. The cast woofers are very well made. All materials are good, and above the norm. They are heavy, but very sturdy, with usually adds weight.
    I opened up a Hartke once. Construction quality was way down. One of the holes for the woofer was so miscut that a screw wouldn't mount to any wood (hole was too big). I was pretty dissapointed. This was a never opened 4.5XL. Maybe is was a fluke.
    The RBH cabs and speakers are killer. Honestly, I thought the 2x10 went down pretty low. More like mid 30s range before the freq rolloff started. It was a scooped bottom end though, and I blamed it on the voicing of the 1001RB.
    The impact of the 10s is very good compared to many. With slap, you can really feel the punch. They are good cabs. Better built than most, but a little pricey. Quality costs though. I would love to hear the sealed cabs. You would probably gain some low end extension.

Wes

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Hey Daniel, what's the deal with these new neo cabs? Better than RBH? Cost more? Will there be combos using the neo cabs?

17. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    He's right-- it's loud, punchy, and clear. I got to play it at the factory and it is really, really bad ass.

18. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Thanks Dan,
    Is it sealed in 1-or 2- or 4 chambers? I am very excited.!
    I played through a Carvin 8-10 last week and I was impressed. It was bottom ported though.
    What I am interested in is a higher quality cab that is sealed. Thanks

19. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    thanks for the responces guys

I turned out goin with the g-k 1001 RB head and an avatar 4x10 and 2x12 cab

now lets see what kinda sound we can pull from this : ) :hyper:

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    G-K heads are great if you like their tone, which I do. I have the 1001RB 2-10" combo which is a good sounding amp IMO and it's easier for me to wheel around compared to my big rig. :D I use it mainly for small to medium rooms, but I'm sure it would do fine in a large room. I also have a 2000RB and a 400RBIII which also sound good and have been very reliable.

Just my 2 centavos.