1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G-K Diesel Dawg

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, Apr 24, 2004.

1. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    anyone using this pedal? reviews'd be appreciated.

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I'm interested about it too. I just found out about it this week.

3. I've owned one for about 6 months now and really like it. It's basically the distortion section from the 2001-RB head, from what I know. Anyway, it has a nice feel to it. Pretty heavy overdrive if you like, with infinite sustain and feedback, all the way down to some amazingly tube-like (both in distortion sound and how it reacts to playing dynamics) grind. The EQ (Bass, mid, edge) knobs are good tone shapers too. Edge gets many of the high-end harmonics created from the distortion, but a smoother overdriven sound can be created with less boost on the Edge. I find that the bass output is quite adequate, with no real loss. Even on low gain settings, it compresses quite a bit, but that's to be expected from an overdriven circuit.

Construction is VERY beefy, with a thick aluminum cover and a very clever battery case that slides into the side. The pots are smooth and tight, giving a good weighted feel typical to GK gear. No slop. There is no stress-relief clip for the AC adapter cord, but that's rarely an issue for most people. I did notice a significant drop in headroom when using a 9V batter relative to the AC adapter. Definitely bring the adapter with you to a venue. I took the pedal apart to find cleanly soldered circuitry and well-arranged wiring.

One cool thing I've noticed about it when running low to medium gain settings is that when I play a root-fifth chord on the A and D or D and G strings, it creates a nice rumbly octave below the root. It's kind of a cool subtlety that really adds some beef to the sound if you do those in any songs. It's a peculiar effect for a distortion pedal to do so accurately, but it's cool nevertheless.

Distortion pedals are a very personal thing and before any decisions are made, you need to audition TONS of them. There's such a range of distortion to be had, not one distortion effect will suit one person, no less everybody. Try out lots. You do have my assurance that this one is a top-notch one and should for sure be a contender.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    So true, so true. I'm in hot water on another thread for trashing the Boss odb3..... yikes. :bag: