Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G-K Diesel Dawg

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, Apr 24, 2004.

1. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    anyone using this pedal? reviews'd be appreciated.

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I'm interested about it too. I just found out about it this week.

3. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I've owned one for about 6 months now and really like it. It's basically the distortion section from the 2001-RB head, from what I know. Anyway, it has a nice feel to it. Pretty heavy overdrive if you like, with infinite sustain and feedback, all the way down to some amazingly tube-like (both in distortion sound and how it reacts to playing dynamics) grind. The EQ (Bass, mid, edge) knobs are good tone shapers too. Edge gets many of the high-end harmonics created from the distortion, but a smoother overdriven sound can be created with less boost on the Edge. I find that the bass output is quite adequate, with no real loss. Even on low gain settings, it compresses quite a bit, but that's to be expected from an overdriven circuit.

Construction is VERY beefy, with a thick aluminum cover and a very clever battery case that slides into the side. The pots are smooth and tight, giving a good weighted feel typical to GK gear. No slop. There is no stress-relief clip for the AC adapter cord, but that's rarely an issue for most people. I did notice a significant drop in headroom when using a 9V batter relative to the AC adapter. Definitely bring the adapter with you to a venue. I took the pedal apart to find cleanly soldered circuitry and well-arranged wiring.

One cool thing I've noticed about it when running low to medium gain settings is that when I play a root-fifth chord on the A and D or D and G strings, it creates a nice rumbly octave below the root. It's kind of a cool subtlety that really adds some beef to the sound if you do those in any songs. It's a peculiar effect for a distortion pedal to do so accurately, but it's cool nevertheless.

Distortion pedals are a very personal thing and before any decisions are made, you need to audition TONS of them. There's such a range of distortion to be had, not one distortion effect will suit one person, no less everybody. Try out lots. You do have my assurance that this one is a top-notch one and should for sure be a contender.

4. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    So true, so true. I'm in hot water on another thread for trashing the Boss odb3..... yikes. :bag: