Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G-K heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oreo, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Oreo

Oreo

Dec 26, 2005
    New York
    I've been looking for a good head to go along with my cab, I'm getting an Acme B2. I played through two of these at a show, and they supported my low sound very well. I need something that will really help with my low frequencies. It'd be used for small to medium venues for now, thenI plan on adding a second B2 in the future.

Which G-K head would work best? Help! :(

...It doesnt have to be a G-K head, it's just i've been pointed in that direction so far, other suggestions welcome.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been abusing GK gear for four years and it's held up to everything I've thrown at it. High volume metal gigs, low volume jazz, pit orchestras, you name it. I use a 400RB-III with PA support when needed.

Considering that with the exception of the 800RB, the preamps on the other three are identical. The 800RB has slightly different tone shaping abilities. The 800RB and 400RB-IV are the only two that don't offer GK's Horn Management System, for additional clarity. However, these can really only be utilized by GK cabinets, or others with modification.

The 400RB-IV is the bottom of the pro series line at 280W and runs full range (highs and lows are processed together) whereas the 700RB-II, 1001RB-II and 2001RB use biamping, with a 50W amp just for the highs. They have 480, 700 and 1080W respectively.

The 800RB is the classic 300W + 100W (for the highs) monster. The 300W woofer amp is capable of running at 4 ohms, whereas the 100W tweeter amp can only run at 8 ohms, you can power a wide array of cabs and get great tones from the 800RB.

From what you're looking at, I'd say the 700RB-II is right up your alley. Get your can over to Guitar Center and check it out!

3. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    tpylons nails it...
    Hi Tim!

4. Oreo

Oreo

Dec 26, 2005
    New York

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey, how ya been?

Still digging the music!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anytime. I stand behind GK 100% for good reason. Great amps, and even better customer service!!!

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 on the GK, but I'd also advise you to check out the forsale section here. You can get the more powerful 1001-II for a great deal and I think there's at least one or two up right now.

For the record, I have the 1001-II and love it. Plenty of output. Fantastic bang for the buck, and great tone. Buy one. Done. :)

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1!! I use a GK 2001RB with a GK Neo 4x12 cab.

9. I say, go 1001! I tried the 700 at rehearsal (LOUD) and it was holding up.. but not with power to spare. If I would choose, I would go for the 1001. (In the mean time I keep thumpin my boogie 400+) :bassist:

10. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I recently purchased a 1001RB II from Sounds of Ocean, and I will be ordering a B-2 cab soon!
    You can find a 1001RB at RMC music, online for $600 shipped!:hyper:

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've read that Acme cabs aren't very efficient, so if that's true and you want huge wattage-sucking lows -- who doesn't? -- the 1001RB-II would be your best bet.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I had Acmes and I found that power amps with lots of juice work best, especially if you want to add another B2. I would really try to get the most power you can.

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    This sounds just like me, except that it was 5 years; and recently, I picked up another head that I tend to be using more (Bassman 100).

GK is by far my favorite solid-state head. Very versatile, but also has a distinct tone that won't just sound like a generic bass in a rock setting.

14. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I think their all great suggestions. However, IMHO ofcourse, I had a acme b2 and was running my 2000RB head through it. Let me tell you if plan on getting another acme cab then 1000watts would be your minimum! Even with one Acme cab you better have at least 500 watts or more pushing it. If you plan on smaller venues all the time then you could get away with less wattage but then your really limiting your rig. Anyway, I sent the acme back before I got another that was on back ordered. Great light weight cabs that can push some phat lows out, but they seem to me to work well in maybe a R&B (Jamerson) type of setting where one cab is all you want or can use, just not for me?

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Are you talking about the older preamp like in the 800RB or the newer preamp like in the 1001 Mark II? They're VERY different, and I don't like the older preamp much, but really like the new one... better definition and clarity.

16. I have a question for you guys as I think you guys know much about GK.

"How is the quality of sound and construction of BlackLine model" compare to the basic models. I think it is make outside the USA.

Thanks

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Pretty close. I think the main reason they're cheaper is just 'cause they're not the USA models. If there is a tonal difference, it's not night and day.

The amp I use most often for church ensemble is a backline 110 kickback combo. Sounds great to my ears.

18. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    You mean "BACKLine", right? There was never a series called Blackline to the best of my knowledge . . . . and my understanding is that the Backline stuff is OK, but doesn't hold a candle to the Artist series stuff . . . .

- Tim

19. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The new one, like in my 400RB-III.

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Then I strongly disagree. I've played rock with this head and IMHO, it sounds great. In fact, I think this amp would particularly do well for rock because it has its roots in the old school tone, and you can still hear it and accentuate it easily with the EQ.