1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G-K MB115 vs. G-K MB115-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GT1Jimi, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Newbie to this forum but Oldie to the Bass, so this is my first post.
    :help:
    Just came back from the local music store, where I test-drove the G-K MB115: pretty nice little combo for the money ($399.00 OTD). It seems to hit the sweetspot between my three Bass Amp Criteria: Good, Light and Cheap. And since, this year, I have both moved to a house at the bottom of a 50-step staircase and turned 60, the Light part is now the priority. The other two are still important, but they don't mean a thing if I can't wrestle it down (and more importantly, up) the Permanent Stairmaster.

The store is kind enough to hold it for a day, so I can sleep on it. Before I pull the trigger, though, does anyone know: 1) Just what are the differences are between the "Mark I" and "Mark II" models? and 2) How can I tell the two models apart? I would like to have 'this year's model' if at all possible.

Thanks for any information you can impart.

2. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Mark 1 will have a metal grill the 2 should have grill cloth and come with an expansion out on the back for adding a powered cab. I hope this helps some

3. deelgee

deelgee

Jan 18, 2012
    U will love the gk
    Also 62 with 1960 Gibson ebo

4. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    The newer series ll MB115 will also have a black faced control panel, recessed top handle, a cooler look, the DI output will also be turned around facing the correct angle for removal of the XLR cable.

The chain out feature is going to be very cool to say the least.

I owned the first gen MB115 but have the gen 2 MB115 on pre-order,,, I think the upgrades on the new MB115 will be well worth waiting a few more weeks for its release.

My opinon,, wait for the new gen MB115 series ll.

Cheers
    Davyo

5. Thanks for the input. The big changes you referred to were enough for me to do yet another google search for the elusive "Mark II" model. This time, I found a youtube from this year's NAMM.
    http://youtu.be/Hp_C6_xJASc
    Of note is this screen capture, showing the changes that Davyo noted. This is both a blessing and a bummer: a blessing for the great changes in what sounds to me like a great combo, and a bummer because I have a gig Saturday and I will have to scrounge up something to make do. Oh, well, timing is everything.

As I say, the reason convenience is expensive is that it does not occur in Nature.

Attached Files:

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I needed to pick up another amp recently, and I went for the first generation without hesitation.

I like the look of the original grills, and I don't need the other features being added.

7. mikeblas

mikeblas

Nov 11, 2013
    Does anyone know where to find a manual for the old MB-115? The only manual I can find on the GK site is for the new MB-115-II.

8. Just to add to what others posted. The newer MB115-II's also have "Chain Output" and they have a different cab finish - oh and the G-K logo is different too.

9. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

5544 likes this.
  10. Cordwangle

Cordwangle

Jan 27, 2014
    I concur delegee....I have the MB115 & MBP115; used just the MB at first for a few gigs & was so impressed I bought the MBP. My Ric sounds amazing through these cabs....I'd love a 4-cab set-up but that would negate the portability factor..mmm….. :)