1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G-K MicroBass MB150S-III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dstrandberg, Nov 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. dstrandberg

dstrandberg

Oct 5, 2013
    Neenah, WI
    Does anyone use a G-K MicroBass with headphones for practice?

I bought a refurbished MicroBass thinking I could switch off the speaker and practice my electric bass with headphones, but the headphone output has a constant hum, it's so noisy (about -15 dB from full scale) that I can't stand to use it.

There were a couple other issues, like a big popping when I switched the limiter in/out, so I sent it back. The retailer verified the issues and sent it back to G-K, who fixed it and sent it back to the retailer. After spending "1-2 days to check it over" they shipped it back but the hum is still there.

At this point I'd just like to know if there exists a G-K MB150 that has a clean headphone output. Anyone?

Dave

PS - tried every combination I could think of to remove the noise... cheated the AC power ground, bass connected/disconnected, speaker connected/disconnected, output dialed up, down, middle, etc. Always a hum on the headphones...

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I owned GK MBE for a short while. What little time I had it, I only used the headphone jack a couple of times. I do know it wasn't totally quiet, there was some residual white noise through that headphone jack, especially, if the treble or midrange controls were cranked. However, I don't remember a 60 cycle hum, unless the AC outlets I was using, were improperly grounded. Have you tried using Cagi DeOxIt5 on a Q tip to thoroughly clean the contacts on the Headphone jack. It's definitely worth a shot.

Ric