1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G-K NEO212-II Crossover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bumperbass, Aug 12, 2012.

1. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I have a question about my cabinet. I don't feel like taking the time to take the crossover out to find out my answer.
    In full-range mode, is the crossover to the horn simply a high pass, or is it a 6dB or 12dB/octave which would limit the highs to the twelves?
    I don't use the horn. Never have on a bass cab, so I need to know whether any highs are prevented from getting to the twelves.
    Thanks!

2. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    I found this online:
    "Robert Gallien says the frequency response of the 12” neo drivers used in the 212Neo-II’s extends up to 5kHz, where they’re crossed to the PAS horns. “This way, players who don’t like a horn, or, don’t like overdrive through a horn can turn it way down, or off, and not be at a loss for highs in their sound.”

So I guess there's no point in rewiring the crossover so that the speakon goes directly to JUST the 12's then. I don't think there'd be much above 5kHz anyway, even straight through with only the twelves.

3. I believe, from reading this site (not actual physical knowledge) that switching the cab to bi-amp and then using a normal speakon will give you "straight to the 12" wiring.

4. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    +1 A 12" bass speaker has no useable response over 5 kHz. At that frequency it's probably a high pass for the horn either 2nd (-12dB) or 3rd (-18 dB/octave) order. This would be cheaper and easier to build than a 2-way which would be needed if the cossover was done at a lower frequency. The Eminence website has a number of off the shelf crossovers you can look at for some typical examples.
    http://www.eminence.com/pro-audio/hf-products-components/crossovers/

5. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    5StringPocket,
    I really don't even WANT a crossover. I only want to use the 12's straight from the amp since I don't EVER use the tweeter on a bass cab.
    I would assume that if I went to biamp mode, I could use the 12's ONLY without running through the crossover?? This is what has me stumped.
    Guess I'll just take the xover out and look at it.

6. If you switch the cab to "Biamp" and use either a 1/4" or 1+,1- speakon cable the signal will go straight to the 12's and the crossover/horn will receive no signal.

7. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I get it. Wiring straight to pair of full range 12's always works. I think B-string nailed it for your Neo 212-II cab.

8. bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. I failed to RTFM, which I re-read, but still wasn't absolutely sure.