1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G-K RB800 or Carvin R-600? Pros Cons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mrbowtieguy, May 16, 2005.

1. + Another one for the GK!

I am curently using a GK RB400 III, which I love to bits- although it is very clean even when pushed extremely hard for long peroids of time- it's a very loud amp, the RB400 effectively has 3 volume knobs-

Input/Preamp Volume- (crank it) Never once had clip on me, using all kinds of Active and Passive basses.
    Boost- Adds Gritiness, but also volume
    Master- Speaks for itself

As I mentioned, Very nice and very clean- The RB800's have a habbit of being unbrakeable- Duff McKagan (Guns 'n' Roses/Velvet Revolver) claims his has been quiet faithful...

Ohhhh the RB800's sound great too... Had a few chances to play one in store. I like, but I am after a more tubey sound :)

2. stefanfan

stefanfan

May 17, 2005
    lower manhattan
    youd have to be insane to get the carvin{unless it was under $100..mine suuucked...gk all the way..amazing and reliable for solid state

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would buy another R600 or R1000 in a second! I guess I must be insane.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    See your name? That's what carvin red line cabs sound like. :p

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    You are entitled to your opinion. However, I have had quite positive results with Carvin's amps. They have given me exactly what I need and pump out plenty of low end. If you have had poor results with their products, that's too bad. If you are just knocking them because that is what most people on this forum do, maybe you are as dumb as your name implies. :p

P.S. No disrespect was intended in the creation of this post.

6. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    I owned both and R600 and an 800RD at the same time.

In my opinion, the two should not be compared. The GK is far superior.

I sold the Carvin and still have the GK. I will not consider another Carvin and I will never get rid of the GK.

YMMV

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I fail to see how one can refer to another poster as "dumb", then suggest that there was "no disrespect intended".

As stated earlier, I've owned two, so I speak from experience. Both have been quite disappointing (and not only tonally). I'm glad you are pleased with yours, and hope it remains that way long-term - but I have my doubts.

As a dear, now-departed friend of mine used to say, "you can't spell Carvin Amp without a capital C, an R, an A and a P..."