G-K recomendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AFWbass, Jul 17, 2005.

1. AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    Hey guys. I've got an ampeg 410hlf and am looking for a solid state head to power it. I love the tone, weight, and size of GK's 700rb-II/1001rb-II heads. However, I'm looking for a lot of power...and even though the 700 would power the 4x10 just fine (480w head, 500w cab), I'm afraid that it wouldn't be able to handle more than one cabinet. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
  2. shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    i use the 700rbII with an ampeg 8x10, and it is more than loud enough. and i play loud.
  3. Thunderfunk550! If you have a chance to check them out, they are loud and warm all transistor heads, and are reasonably priced.
  4. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I put together a new rig (Ashdown pre, QSC RMX 1450, and Bergantino 2-10 and 1-12 cabs). I promptly screwed up my back carrying the heavy rack up stairs!! So I picked up a GK 1001 before my show last night. It pushed the Berg's just fine, and it sounded fantastic. In all honesty I thought it sounded just as good as hte Ashdown/QSC. Granted I'm losing some headroom, but it had all I need (between 2 screaming heavy metal guitarist through Marshall 1/2 stacks)>
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just played a GK400rbII into one of those Ampeg 410's and it sounded incredible. I was very impressed. The two compliment each other perfectly. Oh, and it was loud which means either the 700 or the 1000 would work great. If the 410 is a 4ohm cab I don't think you'll be needing another one.
  6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Get the 1001RB-II. Best amp for the money on the market!
  7. +1
    i can vouch for that
  8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    if you can afford it, but the 1001rb- you can never have too much power. and i'm surprised no one said it yet, but buy it at rik's music ( www.riksmusic.com )- they seem to have the best prices on all things gk. :bassist:
  9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK1001RB mark II. Just do it.
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I run the seven-hundred mark-two. A couple times I sorta wished that I would have sprung for the 1001, just because they're so much the same, that the 700' sort of says "the budget one". But this thing is so LOUD, and the master knob is so touchy because I run the boost control maxed for growl, that I'm afraid if I had the 1001' It'd be too hard to set the volume on!

GKs are really loud for their ratings.

11. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma