Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G-K SBX vs. RBH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Ok, I seem to see a lot of people saying that the 410SBX cabintets are inferior to the RBH410 cabs because they don't have the low end. However, on the G-K site, it says that the SBX cabs go down to 36hz, and the RBH's only go down to 50hz. I played a 700RB-II through a 410 SBX last night, and I really liked the sound. It didn't seem to have any trouble handling the low B on a five string. Anyone know what the deal is?

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    The SBX is a sealed cab, and as such the low end response suffers, what you gain is the apparent tightness of a sealed enclosure. I suspect that the specs on the GK website are incorrect, or possibly just reversed. Either way, I just bought a 410 SBX on the basis that it sounds great, even if specs suggest otherwise.

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I don't think they are wrong. My understanding it that typically sealed boxes will go lower, but at a lower efficiency than ported. It also depends on what frequency they tune their ported boxes, since cabinet size is a factor . . . .

- Tim

4. It gives 36hz as the low frequency on the 410SBX, the 410SBX-Plus, and the 810SBX, so I doubt that the numbers were mixed up. You are right that a sealed cab will provide a tighter, punchier sound without the boomy lows of a ported, but it shouldn't have any problem reproducing the low frequencies. They just might not SOUND quite as deep.

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    so from what i get from this,is even though the 410rbh has a low end responce of only 50Hz.........It will have a better bottom end then the sxb which has a bottom end of 36Hz?

6. I think that the RBH will have a fatter, deeper sounding low end, but the SBX will actually go deeper, but the lows will be a bit more subdued and punchy.

7. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I think the issue is that a ported cabinet has a peak in it's response due to the port right before it falls off to basic nothingness, and the sealed cabinet rolls off more slowly, with more usefull low end response, but not quite as flat before it falls off. I have some old EV TL series cabinets (ported) that to enhance the low end response, you block one of the ports, which tends to support this as well . . . .

- Tim

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    keep this thread up towards the top, and daniel elliot will come by and answer all your gk questions

9. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    good idea,Lets hope the he will answer this question once and for al.

10. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'm interested about this as well.

11. Sorry for the delay. I've been at namm. The SBX being sealed rolls off sooner but at a much more gradual rate. The SBX also has a specially designed low resonant speaker contributing to the extra low frequency response. The RBH being ported extends further down but then drops off sharply. To sum it up, the SBX is tight and warm and the RBH is loud and punchy.

12. Peter Kaae

Peter Kaae

Oct 10, 2004
    Denmark
    maybe you could explain what the difference is between the 410sbx and the 410sbxplus? -and will there be a 410 neo cab soon?

Thanks

13. I'm not Daniel but it is my understanding that the major difference between the 410SBX and the 410SBX-Plus is the power handling ability. The Regular handles about 400w and the Plus is supposed to handle 800w...but other than that I can't find any differences from the info on their website.

14. They do have different speakers, but I can't find anything to tell me how that would affect the tone of the cab; if they would have more low end or if they just break up later.

15. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It sounds like you are just the guy to ask my ongoing question to! I recently purchased a GK 1001 RB-II, and I'm very impressed. However, I've grown quite annoyed with my Ampeg cab and I'm trying to grab up the funds for a replacement. That said, I'm really not sure what cabs I should look at for my particular style. I've played through the RBH 4x10 and 1x15 in the store, where it sounds quite good, but I'm afraid that will change when the cabs are put through the insane gauntlet that is my band. At the current point, I play a chaotic metalish band where I cover both the lower end of the spectrum as well as much of the midrange. I tend to use very aggresive and demanding distortion and play in Drop-D. Even worse, I frequently do noise loops and "walls of death" that really slam the speakers, often with various degrees of pitchshifting involved. Tonally, I'm looking for something that has the punch of Jesus Lizard or Shellac-ish style punch that also slams the lowend into your chest on the heavier parts. And given that my band regularly plays in venues that do not have the world's best PA systems, the volume is frequently set to "slay." Given this rather insane situation, I'm worried that the RBH stack might crumple. Would you feel that the SBX might better fit within these parameters?

16. The SBX has 100 watt stamped frame 10's and the SBX plus has 200 watt cast frame 10's. They sound very similar. The plus might have a touch more girth to it. If you're using a 700RB then you can use the SBX, but if you're using a 1001RB or 2001RB, go with the plus.

17. I think the RBH would be better suited for your purpose. I recommend the SBX for blues and country bands and the RBH for rock and metal bands. Flea uses the 410 and 115RBH. But there is another cab you should consider. The Neo 412 is used by Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold and Velvet Revolver. It's about the size of a 610 cab so you'll only need one of them. It's got more lowend than the RBH and great articulation in the midrange.

18. Daniel,

I have the 410SBX and I'm really pleased with it. I play in a rock band and it certainly cuts the mustard for me. I love how tight it sounds. I used to run an Ampeg 410HLF but I found that with my Ashdown ABM head, it was far far too "gusty" with not nearly enough upper mids.

Getting to the point, I have recently changed my rig slightly to include a QSC RMX2450 poweramp, which pushes 1300ish watts into 8 ohms. Now, the 410SBX is holding up very nicely with the amp ticking over at around halfway on the gain control but I feel that I would be able to unlock the potential headroom of the setup by replacing the 100 watt speakers with some 200 watt woofers meant for a PLUS.

Is there anything I should know before I spend my money? Is it going to work or am I missing something?

Thanks.

19. The speakers that are in there were designed to be used with that cabinet. If you put aftermarket 200 watt speakers in there, it's going to have a totally different sound. You could maybe talk to lany in the office about getting the 200 watt speakers that go in the the SBX plus.