Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

g/k woes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbassfreak, May 30, 2001.

1. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    here goes..i have a g/k 800rb..just had it serviced and it was still farting out..realized it was the jack..the solder worked loose..had it resoldered and now it totally cuts out from time to time..is it time to trash or does anyone have any suggestions..i would appreciate any help..thanxx

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    First, make sure it isn't something else, such as your speakers, hook-up cords, bass, or effects. It could even be a dirty potentiometer (volume control). Rule those out first. Then bring it back to the repair shop and explain the symptoms. It's possible something got damaged in the output stage. It's impossible to tell what it could be from your message. If it's not under warranty, then I recommend having the techs give you an estimated cost to repair it first. If that cost exceeds your limit, then you might just abandon it. That's up to you. IMO, it's probably something that could easily be repaired by a competent technician. Make sure your repair shop has skilled technicians.
    - Mike

3. Make sure the the effects send/return jacks are clean. I have an MB-150E which suffered from the same symptoms - suddenly cutting out for no apparent reason. I struggled for days trying this and that and nothing worked. Thought it might be temperature related, but it turned out to be dirty contacts on the send/return jacks. GK boobed by using jacks that don't have the "wiping" action contacts (self-cleaning) but instead have the "point-contact" type, which work fine until they get crudded-up, they they fail, and have to be cleaned... aaarrrgghhh - took hours to find that out! There - now you have the benefit of my experience! ;>

- Wil

4. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    thanx..ill give those suggestions a try..
    if noy itll make a cool stage show lighting it on fire

5. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Good job Will ! thats what I like about this site,

6. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i was just thinking ..i dont use the send and return
    i plug into the 300watt jack ..then into my cabinet

7. Well, neither do I, but the send/return normalise to straight-through, and if the contacts are bad...

;>

- Wil

PS: You could try putting a patch-cable from the send to the return - that might by-pass the offending contacts - then you'd know for sure...

8. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    ill give it a try..thanx for the input wil..

9. I've never had any trouble with my 800, and I have a friend whose had his for ten years of regular pro use, and he's never had a single thing go wrong.