Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L 1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys. I did a search on G&L 1500 and didn't find much info about the bass. Has anyone tried one? What is your take(good and/or bad) of the bass? I'm looking into getting one but there are no G&L dealers around so I have to order one online. Any info provided will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

2. I just bought one about 2 weeks ago off eBay. It was brand new with trans orange finish, matching headstock, and maple board. I love mine. Has a nice variety of tones available from the single humbucker. Mine has the J bass style neck so it feels really comfortable. Workmanship is top notch.

Great looking, playing and sounding bass. I highly recommend it.

3. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Great stingray style bass, with lotsa tone options.

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks for the info, guys. Say count, do you have a photo of your L1500, I'd love to see it.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love that transparent orange finish! YUM!:D

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    :eek: Yowza!

I nearly crapped in my pants when I saw that. I would order one in white finish with rosewood fretboard. I like the fact that it's not the first time someone has mentioned that it has a great stingray-style tone. Some guy I knew who was lucky enough to try a couple of L1500s in a store described the tone as "stingray on steroids". If that is anything to go by, I suspect that I would be mighty pleased with the L1500 when I eventually get it. Although I love the infamous Stingray tone, having played a couple before, I'm not particularly looking for a bass that is a Stingray clone(sound-wise). I'd be more than happy with a bass that could emulate a tone in the mould of the Stingray but at the same time have versatility and a unique sound of its own.

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Oh yeah almost forgot, cheers for the photos, Jeff.

8. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Take a look at the L-2000 as well... It's essentially the same bass, but with two humbuckers. Lot's more tonal options.

On an unrelated note... I love your sig... That comic strip cracks me up!

Cheers,
    Chris

for more G&L info check out the G&L forum at The Dudepit

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks, Satchel cracks me up. I've never actually laughed out loud while reading a comic strip until I started reading Get Fuzzy.

I've given the L2000 some thought but I'm a big fan of basses with single pickups so I might have to give the L1500 the nod over its dual-pickup'd brother.

Oh yeah thanks for the Dudepit link.

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like the L-1500 is the bass for you then from my point of view.;)

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have been eyeballing G&L's for a while now. What would be the biggest difference between let's sat a L2000 vs. an ASAT? I like the option of two pups but beside body shape whats the main differences?

12. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    My money's on the difference in neck-profile.

13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The degree of neck dive. Really thats about it that I know of. Outside of the shape there really is little difference.:) Their both awesome basses. I love my '84 L-2000 to bits:D . Come to think of it I do believe that the ASAt has an additional neck option not available on the L-2000.

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Appreciate the vote of confidence!:p

15. MMMMMMMMMM L-1500

I do believe the pickup is in a different place on the L-1500 vs. either pickup on the L-2000. The L-1500 is slightly farther from the bridge. I would love to order up a L-1500 but of course I am broke.

I guess I can get by with my L-2000 for now. I mean that in the most sarcastic way, I love my L-2000. I can honestly say that I will NEVER sell that bass. Of course one NEEDS more than one bass, right? I mean each bass is different.

I am suprised at how nice that trans orange is.

16. Thanks for posting the pics Embellisher!

I was a little worried about the bass being too orange. Now that I have it I wouldn't want any other color. It looks awesome. I love G&L's six bolt neck too.

17. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    That's right, the L-2000 and ASAT come with different standard neck profiles (ie. L2K comes with a p-bass type neck, and the ASAT a jazz), but you can order whatever neck profile you want. Both of my L2Ks have Jazz width necks.

Cheers,
    Chris

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Chris and everyone else!!!!

19. Here is my L1500 I had specially built:

Link to L1500

It has a #7 P-width neck, ebony board, swamp ash body, and SB3 finish. Current strings are the stock SIT Stainless, and they have grind for days. No dead spots in the neck (like my MIM P).

The preamp is noticeably noisy by itself, but not heard in a live mix. It would probably be unacceptable in a recording environment. The MusicMan preamps are miles quieter. The passive sound is very quiet, and different from active mode.

[ edit ]

The L1500 is part of the three basic food groups: P-thump, J-growl, and Grind.

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I can alomost make out the photographer in the glossy finish...beautiful!