Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L 2000 Bass -- any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Sep 17, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What's the word on G&L basses? I read alot about people owning them, but never much about the quality. Here's one:

- 9.5 pounds
    - 1.5" nut 12" radious (Jazz)
    - Birdseye fretboard
    - Looks like Flame neck
    - Ash body

[​IMG]

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    looks nice. I'd try it. I've got a maple neck ASAT and I really like it. I'd say they're 'solid/tough' and tonally quite versatile if a bit rude. Very hot signal.
    Quality-wise, they are more consistent than most Fenders I try. I put them at the top of the Leo foodchain personally.

3. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i dont own one, but my friend does, and ive played it a few times. the word that comes to mind is "powerful". but i guess you'd expect that from the double humbuckers. that one sure is cool lookin though. Xush is right, as far as quality and feel, yes, they are Fender-esque, but thats not a bad thing :).
    peace-
    -Tom

4. awesome basses. I have a sunburst L2000 that I would never get rid of. very versatile and powerful. you can get a jazz bass, a p bass, or a music man, plus the great G&L full bore tone all with a few switch flips. you can get a P bass neck or a jazz bass neck (#6 I think) super comfortable to play. I highly recomend them if you want a great fender style bass that can do it all.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have an 84 L2000 and I would never get rid of it. I don't play it much anymore since I play mostly 6 string but I would kick myself in the ass if I ever sold it. It is very powerful. The preamp is so hot you can power headphones with it. Not very loud but you can still hear it.
    It has a great tone and is very versitile.

6. They're great. That's why there's a "club" and that's why so many people have them. Personally I think they're the most underrated of "Leo's Children," and I also think they're his masterpiece. There's so much you can do with an L2k. I just got my first L2k, natural with a rosewood board and a #6 neck (1.5" at the nut, 7 1/2" radius) and it just feels and sounds so good that it's probably going to be my Number One (though my Ric definitely WILL still get a lot of play time).

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I'm a G&L addict, although I've settled on the SB-2 (MFD P-J pickups, all passive, jazz sized neck) as my favorite.

Construction-wise they are very solid, although I'd personally put Musicman a hair above them on the Leo-started-company quality scale (a little better attention to the minute details). I've owned, lets see, in the neighborhood of 14 over the last few years with 2 ordered brand new (it's a sickness, really) and they have all been nicely put together. Very solid and they all sounded good in their own ways.

To echo some of the other comments the output is very high, even on the passive basses. In the past there were/are noise complaints but G&L has recently started shielding their cavities so if the one pictured is new (and recent) it should be shielded. The 12" radius on the one you show makes it a #8 neck (#6 is the same width with 7.5" radius). G&L #6 necks are about my personal favorite.

The passive capability with passive eq (bass and treble cut-only) is nice if you ever run the battery down and it gives more tonal options. The switch-only (neck, both, bridge) pickup selector is different and takes away the ability to blend the pickups (an annoyance) but there are a ton of tonal options.

I think of G&Ls as a bit raw and aggressive. Definitely more of the "vintage" vibe than "modern" IMO. I highly recommend them but realize they won't fit everybody.

8. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    actually, i talked to todd @ guitars, etc in colorado (they're the ones running the auction) about this bass yesterday afternoon. the guy who bought that bass a few months ago apparently goes through basses "like we go through underwear". if i didn't have a fretless on order, i would snatch that baby up in a new york minute...

jdkh

9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    They're the absolute $#!+, JRB. That green ASAT in my icon is my #1, has been since I got it 2 years ago. (ASAT is the same as L2000, aside from body shape)

You'll find G&L addicts to be among the most devoted to their brand. Superior quality.
    I'm sold for life. :)

10. Mine is a 1985, three-bolt neck, noisy/maybe lacks shielding, but I love it the most of any instrument I ever owned.

I had a Rick4001 before I had the L2K and sold it. Added a Heartfield DR5 - sold it. Bought a EB Music Man Sting Ray on impulse - sold it.

The G&L has taken .115E and I've even tuned it down to A with no problems. Loud, aggressive, growly, punchy, heavy body, thick neck.

If I ever paid for a custom instrument, it would have to compare to the G&L L2K.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    G&L was my second choice, & I seriously wrestled with this decision. They're great!

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I never said I saw it in an auction. ;)

13. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a '91 cherryburst L2000 signed by Leo Fender, and an '84 SB-1 arriving the end of the week. I love my G&Ls and am now in the process of building my collection.

14. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    How are the 5 string G&L basses? If I had a 5 string G&L and it played and sounded like my 4 string I would play it all the time. I wish I could afford one.

15. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One of the absolute best basses money can buy IMHO. If I played or had made a signature instrument from a brand name company, my name would be sandwiched between G&L and L-2000 ;) . I would however cream my jeans and giggle like a school girl if they ever made a 6'er version as well :eek: (<---Me). Just picture it G&L L-2600.....mmmmmmmmm.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Did you decided against the Sadowsky?

17. I have the L2500 in blueburst and it is a great monster..you can't go wrong spending up to 1500 on this bass...if you look around you can find good deals. It is versatile as well as SOLID (note the caps)..For a 34'' scale, the B string has a good sound as well as doesn't feel like spaghetti.

I mess with the tuning a lot, and it keeps tension very well detuned. The L2000 is a fine bass...I highly recommend it to anyone..it has the Fender feel as well as a more evolved fender sound...I definitely agree that it is the most underrated company Leo worked for...w\e! I have one and love it!

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Nope. It's still available.

19. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

I own a 02' G&L L-2000 and I love it. Although I think I ended up with a #8 neck. It's a bit chunky. Amazing tone!

- tom

20. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    It's a lot like a Stingray - except you trade a little "aggressiveness" for versatility (more lows too). It's a swiff army knife of tone. Make sure you get the neck you want, since they come in J and P sizes alike and different shades of those.

One of the best values out there I think.