G&L 2000 vs stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 18, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so, i know they were bothed designed by leo, and they both have the humbucker pick ups. my question is, how similar are the sounds?
  2. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    also, for some reason i cannot seem to find what kind of finish is on the body/neck/headstock....
  3. bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    I was the owner of two G&L 2500's, and IMHO, neither compared with the sound of the StingRay5 I now own, although the necks were, of course, very similar

I would say that the StingRay has more balls
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's a satin finish on the neck. Of course, mine didn't have a matching headstock, so I'm not sure what they put on those (maybe it's like MM, and they stop the gloss finish at the neck on matching headstocks). The body is a gloss/poly nitro finish standard, but stain/oil finishes are available.

How similar are the sounds? I believe xcental84X (or some such) had a Stingray and an L2K back to back, so maybe he can help you out.

I've never owned a Stingray (not yet...), and was pretty tone naive when I had my L2K (otherwise I wouldn't have sold it), so there you have it.
  5. I had a G&L 2000 years ago, loved the look of it, mahogany body, maple neck. The tone was more Smith like if I remember right, not too much bottom, not too much highs, tight and growly, not fat and ponderous. It was pretty good.

I just got a Stingray. No comparison. Try them both, they are nothing alike. I have always been looking for the Stingray sound, if the G&L had it, I'd still have the G&L.

6. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    I have had both. To me the SR was the better of the two.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I personally own a Stingray 5 but I think that the G&l L-2000/2500 are great basses. Some say they can get the G&L to sound like a Stingray, but I don't hear it like that. G&L's remind me a bit of Ken Smiths but since their coils can be split, they can get pretty close to a J-bass also. With neck pickup soloed, G&L's do a fine P-bass impersonation. They are very versatile and can mimic other basses.

Stingrays are also versatile, but they are good at giving different shades of Stingray tone, except they can mimic a P-bass if they are played good touch and reduced treble. I hope this helps.
  8. I think the L-2500, with both pickups on and in series, has a deeper, fuller, sound than a Stingray 5. It makes sense, since the G&L has a neck pickup. The Stingray 5 has that signature sound, though, and if you want that sound, the G&L can only do a so-so imitation of it. The G&L has a lot more flexibility and is a true tonal chameleon, something that certainly can't be said of a Stingray.
  9. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I once owned a Stingray, but returned it after a week. It really only has one sound, which you can shape a little bit with EQ, but its always going to have "that" sound. I've had an L-2000 for over two years and I love it. You can get a Stingray-esque sound for when you want it, but also many more sounds. When I first got it, my favorite setup was both pickups in parallel with the active preamp engaged... now its the neck pickup soloed in series in passive mode. I never could've changed the sound so dramatically with a Stingray, and I probably would've gone through several basses if I hadn't bought the L-2000.
  10. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I sold my Sterling for an L-2000. The G&L has way more balls to it. More punch. The Sterling was good, but the G&L just makes me smile when I play it. Really tough sounding...like a beast!
  11. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I bought a G&L L-1505 as a backup for my SR5 and ended selling the G&L 'cause I hated it. It's neck is massive compared to that of the SR5. Also the electronics are sh*t! I bought a Cort Curbow (less than half the money) that worked much better as a backup for the SR5.

12. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    They are fairly different basses. I have owned 4 G&Ls and 2 stingrays (one pre EB and one post EB). The MFD pickups in the G&L have a much different tone to them than the ray pup. The MFDs have a broader tonal spectrum (more highs and more lows). The G&L can come close to a stingray tone, but better than that (IMHO) it sounds like a G&L. G&L is real ballsy and punchy. The Stingrays just sound like stingrays. I always found that I missed some of the bass response with a ray due to not haveing a neck pickup.

I personally prefer the G&L tone. It is a little more raw (and hot) and I think the G&L is a more versatile bass. Rays are good for that one good ray tone. If that is what you want then get a ray. They are both good basses for what they are, but they are really 2 very different basses in terms of tone.
  13. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    When someone says something like this, it usually means they didn't understand how the L2000/L2500 controls work.

I've had multiple SR5s and a few L2000 (no L2500s). Different animals. I just don't like the look of the big old pickguards (looks cheap) and the unwieldy oversize body of the SR5. The G&L has a much-better designed bridge as well. Also, the Stingray can't be played in passive mode like the G&Ls. Overall, I think the G&Ls are more evolved.
  14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D