Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L 2500 Midrangy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skorzen, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have a G&L L-2500 that I have been considering selling. I like the bass over all but I cant seem to get rid of this sort of low mid hump that I am hearing. I was wondering if any of you had any idea why this seens to be happening? One thing that did cross my mind is that it might possably be that the battery is dying? I dont know if it would cause something like this. I have played it througj a few different amps and seem to remember it having a similar issue. I am currently playing through a Sansamp RBI>QSC MX700> Bag End Q10x. Any ideas?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    FWIW, I equate G&L's with midrangey in tone. I played a few, and that just happens to be their characteristic. I happen to really like that sound, but I know that some really dislike it. I suppose their sound is attributed to their pickups and electronics. As for the battery problem, I get that same sort of sound that you're describing with my Warwick, except it's more of an overdriving midrange type of sound. Once I start to hear it, I simply change batteries and the problem is solved.

3. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    the only way you can get rid of that midrangy tone is to sell it to me!!

4. I usually play mine in parallel instead of series. That reduces the thump considerably. They are a little quieter that way, but you can just turn up a bit more.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For live work the low mid hump helps keep the bass audible without intefering with the frequencies of the kick drum or other bassy instruments. I like that sound.

If it's not your cup of tea, use an Eq to cut it. You'll be looking at somewhere between 200 and 300 hz.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love the tone of my G&L!

Peace
    Nick

7. I'm willing to bet that it's the RBI. I owned one and hated the boomy low mid sound of the bass.

8. oops, I didn't read that part about trying it through a few different amps.

9. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Yeah I am thinking that it is just a matter of taste on the sound, I am going to work with it a bit. I just don't seem to be able to get a decent loud rock tone out of it IMHO. But other than that I love the bass. as for cutting the mids when I do that to the point where the "Hump" I am percieving goes away it souds dead and lifeless.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    WHAT!?

You cant get a decnet loud rock tone out of it?!

Both PU's, series, actice with trebble boost, bass full volume full, and trebble half way to full on.

Peace
    Nick

11. Scoop it out with your amp's EQ .

Worked for me .

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia

Gosh! i feel that i have a really opposite idea. to me the G&L MFD are the best way to have a ROCK sound.

13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    :confused:

My L2500 was the Webster example of "loud rock sound." So much, in fact, that try as I might, I couldn't make it go away.

I finally sold it for that very reason. As much as I liked it, I couldn't really get a nice, smooth, clean modern tone out of it.

If I played more rock, a G&L would be my main for sure.

Chas

14. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Maybe it's just me, it just doesent seem to blend soundwise the way I would like it to.

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe its your settings on the pre amp.

The G&L is a rock bass if nothing else.

Peace
    Nick