1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L 2500 (or tribute) B string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basske, Aug 13, 2007.

1. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    Hi,
    Is it thrue that the B string of these bass is horrible and not thight?

2. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have one, and no, it is not true. The B string isn't the best I've ever felt but it is certainly not bad. It is just as tight as the other strings and has a very clear sound.

I understand that some Tributes are better then others though, so it might not be the case for every one.

3. sandmann

sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    i owned one original l-2500 and one tribute. the tribute was far better. didnĀ“t like both of them ...

sandmann

4. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    NO!

5. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I had a Tribute.

The B string was okay.

Just okay.

I sold it because it was a boat anchor...

6. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    thanks for the replys
    At this moment I have a KSD705 and it has a thight B string
    But I want a "new sound" and the G&L tribute was a option.
    Now I am not sure anymore

7. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    I've got no complaints with the B on my L-2500 Tribute. I have to wonder if there's more to this claim than just the bass or its bridge... :confused:

8. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    bridge??

9. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I have a L-2500 (not a Tribute) and I like the B string feel on it. This is my third 5-string, the first (a nice Samick) sounded fine but played/felt rather poor, the second (Reverend 5XL) was quite nice but I just couldn't get used to the 35" scale. The L-2500 feels good to me (but I wouldn't necessarily say "tight"), it's not floppy and doesn't seem to have to have a big vibrating arc (leading to a high setup) to sound balanced with the other strings, it sounds very full and plays well. Despite the shorter 34" scale length, it feels marginally "tighter" than my 35" scale Reverend did.

10. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If you can try one that would be a good idea. I've got an L2500 tribute and the B-string is good. I'm using hex core flatwounds and the hex core really helps keep things tight. If you want rounds I know that DR Lo-Riders have a hex core.

I think it helps to string through the bridge, so it would be good to look for strings with a taper wound B.

It's not a Lakland B, but it's good enough.

You'll definitely get a "new sound" and a different sound than the KSK705 which has Jazz pups (right?). Do you find yourself adding mids when with the KSD705? When I play at my church I actually have to scoop my mids or the pickups are too middy for the mix! They're perfect for a rock setting or even blues and for some pop I'm sure, but for the mix at my church I've got to scoop the mids. I'm going to be installing an Audere preamp in mine to give me mids control.

Mine definitely isn't a boat anchor - just a bit above 9.5 lbs but it balances well. A wide padded strap and you're in business!

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    My US L2500 has a low B comparable to most Stingray5's I've played. Not bad for 34" scale.

12. engedi1

engedi1 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I have no complaints with the B on my Fretless L-2500. Great growl...I used TI Super Alloys which have a hex core...

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My L2500 from a few years back had an OK B-string... definitely useable, but not the tightest out there. No idea about the Tributes... heck, even different L2500's will sound and play differently.

14. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My 2500 is pretty heavy, but the tone is more then worth the minor inconvenience. The G&L Tribute has a 2-screw bridge and ferrules in the body, so you can string it through the body or through the bridge. When I got mine the ADG strings were through body and BE were through the bridge, and I have not yet changed them. The setup works very well for me.

15. basske

basske

Oct 18, 2005
    Menen BelGiuM
    No I dont have to scoop the mids
    I have too boost them to get a little bit the "sound" of a G&L