G&L 2500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Aug 17, 2005.

1. I have a Stingray 5 and love it. I wanted another bass that has just as big and loud as a sound and tone but different. I bought a Warwick jazzman 5, great bass but disappointed in the I thin brittle midrange just not nearly as punchy as the S.R. at least not through my rig (AMPEG). I'm a lefty so I have to buy before I try sometimes and it's expensive! So next step I thought about a custom classic 5 jazz from fender well if they do a lefty only one guy works on it from beginning to end so the retail is then over 6 grand (says bass central) they tried to get me to buy a Roscoe but they seem to pretty for me. Six grand for a Fender I can't do it! So then I heard they introduced a Stingray at the last Namm show with double humms or humm jazz configuration :hyper: I tried to order one but no lefties yet! They can't do em. So this brings me to the point. I ordered a G&L 2500, I read some reviews and I don't see any bad ones but there doesn't seem to be a lot of rave reviews either. I just wanted to get some feedback from people who have them and hear what you think of the tone, the neck, and the balance that kind of stuff. Will it be big and punchy and fat and easy to play? I play Tool, S.T.P. type originals and play with a pick and with fingers. Wutz the word??
  2. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    ya did good. big, loud, punchy, and not thin at all. They're the perfect marriage between Fender fat and Musicman rock.
  3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Good choice. My ASAT cured my G.A.S. as much as any bass could. G&L pickups have so many sounds available it might take you a while to figure out what you want. Don't get discouraged.

This may sound obvious, but I find the pickups are very sensitive to changes in the pole piece height. Once you find your pickup settings figured out, try different pole piece adjustments. It's great.

I use XL's, but Stainless strings sound nasty (in a good way) on G&L's.
  4. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Excellent choice.
    I play one myself. This bass is a workingmans, durable, swiss army knife. The variations on the tones are great and every one sound HUGE but drastically different from any other switch configuration. You will not be dissapointed. I am excited to hear your review. Every other bass I have played since seems pale in comparison. Even poorly setup in the GC, I could see that this bass was the "one". Almost immediatly sold my MIA Jazz V Deluxe. This bass is that good and that reliable. And the passive switch is great for a spontaneous dead battery.

Anyway....enough raving. What color? mine is blueburst over a ash top.

5. BigSky Bass Guy

BigSky Bass Guy

Apr 15, 2005
    Best bass you'll ever play, IMHO. (I'm talking a real made-in-America G&L, mind you-- I have no experience with the Tribute.

I got my 2500 in 1997, and it's been my main axe since then. Sold a Fender Jazz and a Ken Smith because I never played them anymore... when I did plug in the Jazz, it sounded so wimpy and inferior to the G&L, I figured it was just money leaning in a corner, unused. And the Smith... beautiful looking, but I didn't need a monument to myself, and it didn't sound nearly good enough compared to the G&L to justify keeping it.

Most Ken Smith owners will disagree, of course, and sure, those $3k guitars made from exotic dead trees are 5x better workmanship than my G&L. Some people just need a Cadillac. But it's the chest-hammering sound that counts, and depending on your amp and cab, your G&L will probably blow the doors off those Cadillacs. You just won't be as pretty on stage.
  6. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I just got an ASAT about 2 weeks ago & could not be happier. It IS the "swiss army knife" of basses. You can get it all with G&L's. My other basses are pissed because they've been stuck in their cases since I got this one.

They're sleepers man...
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i want my G&L i have the catalog and wow they are very,very,very well made,they are better made than Fenders and Music Man,they are to close to hand made 100%
  8. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Dude exactly the tone you're describing is exactly the tone the G&L 2500 will produce.

Built like tanks too.
  9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Lemme rave a little bit about my G&L. I absolutely freaking love these basses!! i have an older L2000 and it's phenominal. Plays like butter. Its super well built, a very solid instrument. Well balanced, a little on the heavy side...but the tone of this bass makes up for it ten-fold. Big and punchy and fat describe the tone well. Other descriptive words that fit are agressive, warm, organic, thunderous and versatile. The preamp offers so may tones at your fingertips. Takes a litlle while to get used to the controls...but its not rocket science. The pickups on these basses are unbelievable, you'll have no problem cuting through. I think you'll be more than psyched about your purchase. G&Ls rock!! :bassist:
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    very nice,you describe the bass in the right direction,i love G&Ls :hyper:
  11. Wrapped to read these reviews guys, I ordered my new L-2500 this morning!! My first G&L and she promises to be a beauty!
    Gun oil tint maple neck with tobacco burst over curly maple body...
    should look a lot like this...

Thanks again for the reviews guys, I am even more stoked than I was before having read all your words
  12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    wow i hate you :cool: i have to wait until november for place my order,mine is going to be four strings marine blue with matching headstock,i can,t wait for take mine here,please when your arrive,put some sound clips and picture here :hyper:
  13. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I have seen latley people say a real G&L and not a Tribute. Does that mean now my Tribute L-2500 is not a real G&L?

surge- The bass you ordered rocks man. That is one sexy finish on that bass. You have given me major G.A.S.
  14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    How do the tributes compare to Laklands that are around the same price?
  15. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Personally, I liked the Tribute much more than the Lakland - did an A-B-C comparison between these two and also a KSD Jazz. I thought the Tribute won hands down, both in terms of feel and tone. That G&L pictured above is AWESOME. I've wondered if it made sense to "trade up" to get a US made G&L - I like what I see here for sure...
  16. My L2500 sounds phenomenal... I never get tired of the tone(s) it puts out. It's a thick, tough sounding bass that also plays, looks, and feels really nice as well.
  17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats a beauty...the maple fretboard looks sweet w/ the tobacco burst.
  18. I'm so glad I ordered one. I thought it should be mentioned that my order was $1200 this is really not a lot of money. I spent $1500 on the Warwick years ago. I been reading about equipment on this sight to help me with buying decisions and I always shrug my head because any other time I find just as many people bashing as praising something it gets frustrating. But these basses seem to be really well liked and not talked about too much like they are the undiscovered treasure. I wonder why I don't see them around and talked about more often. Anyway I ordered a U.S. lefty 3-tone sunburst with a rosewood fret board. I wanted a traditional vibe my S.R. is natural with a maple board and it can be a bit bright. Thanks everyone for the feedback it goes much appreciated!!!!!!! :)
  19. I wish there was an easier way to get to the battery.
  20. How long have you got to wait for yours Joseph? Nice choice in finishes by the way