Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

g&l 2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJSBASS, Sep 5, 2005.

1. RJSBASS

RJSBASS Guest

Jun 22, 2005
    New York
    Hey i was gonna get the G&L 2000 but my teacher advised me to get a 5-string bass. So i looked around a bit..checked out the Streamer Stage II by Warwick...and i was wondering If the g&l 2500 is good. I read from these reviews at harmony-central that its not as good as the l2000 (lower rating on its Soundd and such) and i was wondering if this 2500 is a good 5 string bass. So is it? (The streamer II by warwick is heavier and more expensive )

2. Ikkir

Ikkir

Jun 26, 2005
    Swansea, UK
    I have a G&L L2500 and I find it to be an excellent five string. The B string is nice and tight and it sounds superb. The only possible negative I can think of is that the string spacing is quite tight compared to some other five stringers, which some people don't like, but it's never been a problem for me.
    Of course the best thing to do would be to try out an L2500 yourself, if at all possible, because at the end of the day your opinion is the only one that matters.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I owned a premium ash L2500 for a long time. Other than being extremely heavy, it was an excellent bass.

I can't imagine why the L2500 would be rated lower than the L2000. The tone of the two within their common range is all but identical. Perhaps five string users have unreasonable expectations or have a different perspective of comparison with all of the really nice (and way more expensive) fivers on the market these days.

Anyway, the L2500 is an excellent bass. It is extremely well built, highly reliable and offers an extensive tone pallet for the player to work with. The B is not what you get on something like my Q5, but it certainly holds it own with any SR5 and about any Fender I have ever played.

If I offered any beefs it would be that they can be heavy. There are some lighter ones out there, but most of the L2500s I have handled were heavy. They are also bulky. The body has notable mass to it, and the necks are more of an oversized, Fender-style D neck. Some folks really like this, while others may not.

Tonally, while the bass is very versatile, I could never really coax a sweet, gentle tone out of it. Overall the bass is very aggressive sounding.

If I was playing exclusively rock/blues/pop kind of stuff. It would be 1A on my list. I don't think I would even consider any other bass.