G&L 2k low output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vibroverbus, Aug 12, 2018.

1. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    So now that I've got a couple of my other basses restored and working great, I suddenly notice that my 'big boy' G&L seems to have very low output...

It still sounds pretty good but its just fairly quiet compared to the other basses, when plugged into same amp same settings. This is pretty weird since its got those big ass humbuckers which have the reputation for being really hot, and the other basses are singles (albeit hot singles I must say...)

I always thought of that bass as having a huge signal, so I'm thinking sunthinzwrong.

I of course replaced the battery for the pre-amp but its pretty quiet in passive/bypass mode anyway. Wondering if I have a component failure or wiring short or something in there. Any suggestions on things to check?

I mean to post this question on the BassesByLeo site too but I'm having trouble getting registered over there I think they have one of those 'hand moderated registration' things so I have to wait for a hungover moderator to wake up and drink his coffee...

2. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    OK maybe answered for myself... removed the pre-amp board and yep output is much better. Must be something up w/ it I guess. Hafta look at it closer...

3. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    For future readers benefit... prob solved...

I think was a bad ground connection, several strands broken in the ground wire to the PCB... tidied up a number of solder points while I was at it. Also the Op-amp chip might have been not seated all the way. Not sure how that would have affected even passive mode but it apparently did...

Quite a rats nest of wiring in these guys, should I ever pull all the controls I certainly will try to tidy up the lead routing a bit... As well this bass is not sheilded AT ALL - i.e. not even conductive paint... really deserves some foil lining...

4. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Thermal cycling over the years may have caused the opamp the creep out a bit. Also, you could just replace it. A different one may affect the sound greatly.

5. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    Yeah this is the v.1.0 board with the LF441CN chip which is a little offbeat. I googled for subs and found TL061 suggested, in some old threads. Gonna see if I have one in my stash - I think I might. If so might toss it in just to see what hoppenz.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021