G&L 3 Bolt Necks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Mar 15, 2005.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Just looking for some opinions/experiences G&L owners have had with the 3 bolt necks. Please include if you can how long you have owned the bass and year it was made if possible.

The reason I ask is, I recently purchased a Tribute L2000 but was considering trading it in for an American. May be obvious at this point....but the American I would be trading for has a 3 bolt neck.

Thanks in advance for all your input. :smug:
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just in case you don't get any answers here. Try here.
    Several folks there have owned and still owned some 3 bolt G&L's. I've owned a couple but didn't hold on to them for more than a couple years. Never had any problems and haven't ever heard of anyone else having problem with them. I'm just assuming that's what you want to know because I know when fender tried the 3 bolt neck they did have problems.
  3. I have a few, had them for varying amount of time. No problems.
  4. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

I had a 1982 L2000 and a 1994 ASAT, both with the 3-bolt neck. Never had any issues with either of them in the 3 years that I had each.

From what I understand, the only reason G&L uses the current 6-bolt system is because the market has dictated that 6-bolts are desirable. I honestly don't believe that there is a functional reason for the extra 3 bolts.

The Tributes are damn fine basses, but there is that extra bit of mojo in the American ones.
  5. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks guys.

So far so good. Welcoming more stories.

Larch - I had a feeling I was being brainwashed. :eyebrow:
  6. That was my understanding also on the change. Fender messed it up too bad to get the public to accept it.
  7. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Let's see....I've had 3 G&L's; a '91 L-2000, a '92 SB-1 and a '94 Climax. I owned the Climax and SB-2 for about a year each, and the L-2000 for about 2 years in the '90's and again for all of last year. No problems. I also owned an '80 Stingray, with the same 3 bolt neck, built in the same plant all G&L's are made in, and owned it for 11 years. No problems. I still own the '80 Sabre I bought back in '98, and, you probably guessed it by now, no problems.

Don't worry about a G&L 3-bolt.