1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L + a Status graphite Jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Jun 4, 2011.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I recently bought a G&L El Toro (currently for sale in Classifieds) which is completely awesome. However, I really want to try out a Status graphite neck. I've been jonesin' for one for a few months now. I'm wondering if a Status Jazz neck could be mounted to a 3-bolt G&L body like this one. Obviously the neck pocket would need to be modified to accommodate the 4-bolt Fender-spec Status neck. It's a three bolt neck but it appears to have the same dimensions in terms of width and depth as my '78 Jazz (which I had professionally converted from 3-bolt to 4-bolt.)

Just wanted to get some thoughts.. I'm wondering if anyone's seen a G&L with a Status neck before...surely someone must have one :D

2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Surely somebody has tried this..:bassist:

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Try it on something else.
    The El Toro is fairly rare, junking up the neck pocket is a certifiable crime.
    IMO.
    Go get a J body and do it.

ymmv of course.

4. What about the Stingray neck made by Status? That's a six-bolt pattern. Check the dimensions.

EDIT:

Duh! I read "three-bolt" and thought "three bolts in a row...making six bolts."

I agree with Chef. Don't screw with the G and L. It's fine the way it is.

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yeah, we'll see...
    I don't know, I may still try to have it converted.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    If it were a matter of shaping the Status neck to the G&L pocket, I wish you best of luck.
    Buyt ruining the G&L body is just a bad idea when they only made a very limited run of that bass.

I know there was someone who fitted a graphite neck to a G&L over at badassbassplayers forum at one time. might have been a modulus. you could ask over there.

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    You know, upon further review, I think a Status Musicman neck would be the way to go. I have a feeling it MAY work without any modification to the pocket. The Status website says The Musicman neck is designed to fit on original Sabre and Stingray models. Our necks are NOT suitable for recent Sterling / Bongo models or G+L L2000 models.

I know the original Sabres and Stingrays had many similarities to G&Ls of that era - the Sabre and the L2000 were nearly identical were they not?
    Some of the old Musicman basses were even three-bolt.

The Status necks do not come drilled with mounting holes, as far as I know, so it's possible a three-bolt pattern could work.

As far as I know, Moses Graphite sells a "G&L/Musicman" replacement graphite neck, and while my preference is Status over Moses, the mere fact that they sell it billed as such tells me they must be compatible (of course, that may only pertain to recent models.)

Ah, well, I have an e-mail out to Rob Greene at Status to see what he thinks.

But, no, if it requires neck pocket mutilation, I'll pass.

8. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    I've fitted both J and MM Status graphite replacement necks. The cavity shape is the only issue. The graphite neck joint is not pre-drilled - they supply special high tensile screws and you drill however many holes you require in whatever positions you require.

9. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    So I guess the question is - do their MM replacement neck heels fit a G&L neck cavity...?

I'm still leaning toward NOT replacing the neck after all the discouragement I've received but if it were a direct swap I'd still consider it :)

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    go search badassbassplayers G&L forum.
    like i said, it's been done over there.
    i believe the moses neck was shaped to the neck pocket, rather than vice versa, but i ain't gonna go do it for you and all;>}

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    +100000000000!

if you're going to hack up that bass, IMO, it ended up in the wrong hands.

12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm leaning toward NOT hacking it up don't worry.

Here's what Rob Green said

The G&L has 21 frets so the J neck will not work. An MM4 would be OK as long as the neck pocket is the regular 2.5" across.

The MM4 has a slightly curved end to the fingerboard as on a regular J neck... I'm not sure what the G&L are like as I believe some are straight across the end.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The Toro has a straight end of neck.

I don't know if you're talking Status or Moses with your quote, but again:
    search the badass G&L forum. It's been done.

14. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
  15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    it'd be super easy to buy a warmoth or other j or p body and other bits to do your neck project with.
    use nord big singles, and you "be in the same kinda sorta tone ballpark" as the el toro pickups.
    sorta. kinda.

16. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA

That's exactly what I'm gonna do ;)

What do you think would be closer to those Toro pickups - Nordy Big Singles or Nordy dual coils? I was thinkin' DCs..

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    singles, most def.
    The DC's are darker; though you can wire those single coil, which I've done.
    I still prefer the Singles; if you get them a little underwound, they're close.

Nothing is really like those G&L Toro pups, or, the early G&L SB1/SB2 J pups.

18. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I found an old 80s MIJ ESP bass that will become my graphite project.

The El Toro stays, for now :)