Featured G&L Adds Pine Body JB-5 to Fullerton Deluxe Line

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 9, 2021.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Leo Fender’s very first guitars had bodies fashioned from Pine and now G&L pays tribute to those early instruments with the introduction of Western Sugar Pine bodies on some of the most beloved models in the range.

The latest is the JB•5, Leo Fender’s final iteration of the bass player’s favorite with added low B range. The Western Sugar Pine body is light, well balanced, and resonant. Partnered with Leo’s G&L Alnico V pickups and Saddle Lock bridge it creates a package of superior tone, sustain and versatility.

The G&L Fullerton Deluxe JB•5 is available in Old School Tobacco Sunburst with a Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard and Himalayan Blue with a Maple fingerboard. Contact your G&L Authorized dealer for prices and availability.

FD Bass JB5.jpg

FD JB5.jpg

2. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Ed Friedland has been playing one of these for several months and raves about it. I was skeptical.

3. TDSmith

TDSmith

Jan 17, 2015
    Sugar pine is nice stuff. Not too heavy, not too expensive, very stable, machines well, glues well. It's not exotic looking, but under paint who cares?

FRoss6788, Paul New and Novarocker like this.
  4. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I'm scratching my head over this sugar pine. Ed said his Fallout was light yet all the pine bodied G&L basses in stock at SW are just as heavy or heavier than my Tribute in ash. It weighs 9 lbs. 3 oz. and I would have expected pine to be lighter than ash. SW has a gorgeous grey L2K in sugar pine but it weighs 9 lbs. 10 oz. I would have thought a US version in pine would have weighed less than an Indonesian version in ash. Go figure.

5. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Historically.... Leo could not play an instrument. His skills were in design, manufacturing and filling a need as cheaply as possible. Pine was about as cheap as you could get. He even left the truss rods out of his first Tele's and had to be begged to use them. I've had a Barnyard Pine beater ASAT on my wish list for some time now. Something with perhaps a Jack Daniels or Winchester logo burned into the top.

6. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    Granted, this is at an entirely different price point but I've always been fascinated by Carmine Street Guitars and their Kelly pine guitars made from reclaimed Bowery pine.

Carmine Street Guitars

7. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    A well selected piece of pine can be very nice looking, the only problem is pine dents real easy.

warrplayer likes this.
  8. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    Ed mentioned that in his video and said with the poly finish on his Fallout he wasn't worried much about dents.

9. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Pine seems to vary in weight as much as ash does. The heaviest T-40s were ash and yet the lightest Laklands I've owned have been ash. I've been getting some 1 piece pine P bass bodies that weigh as little as 3 pounds and they are very musical, beautifully grained pieces! I plan to build a lot with pine, including some burnt tele basses. So.... don't fear the pine.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  10. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    I have a p bass body in sugar pine from MJT that’s 3.2 pounds sounds great

JEDI BASS likes this.
  11. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Pine is what the woodshop teacher gives you in junior high school because the other lumber is too expensive. That's what pine means to me. ...And don't put it in your fireplace.

rickster4003 likes this.
  12. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Good enough to build houses and structures with for centuries... more than good enough for a body blank.

Search for burnt pine fender tele guitars, and see how much they sell for, and read reviews.

Paul New likes this.
  13. icefly

icefly

Sep 7, 2020
    Brazil
    Yes
    Himalayan Blue one is beautiful.

14. That is one of the cheapest things I've seen. I was looking at the l-2500 750 but not sure I can spend that kind of money on a pine body.

15. Pine is a lot of different woods.

17 Different Types of Pine Wood

16. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    I bought an LB-100 that was made with Western Sugar Pine. The vendor was selling two, a black burst and the other a honey burst. I had a helluva time deciding between them because both looked great and weighed 8.5 lbs.

Long story boring, I got the honey burst, played it and I was very excited with the wonderful way it felt and sounded. I am grateful that pine has doesn't have a great reputation, this way no one beat me to the black burst, while I was making up my mind. One has flats and the other rounds.

I bought them a few years ago and the love never ebbed. G&L knows how to select wood.

Paul New, JEDI BASS and Joshua like this.
  17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    As with many things... those that know, know.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I don't really think TOO much about body woods on my basses. Well I'll say that it's fairly far down the list of features that matter to me when selecting a bass anyway. That said, I'm not particularly keen on have a pine bodied bass. I'm open minded to it though I suppose. But it wouldn't be my first choice tbh.

19. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Give it a try. You won’t regret it! Given a choice now, after experiencing what quality pine sounds like, I’d choose lightweight pine instruments over heavier ash and alder. But, I do appreciate some beautifully grained ash.

packhowitzer likes this.
  20. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    That's a great perspective. I certainly would appreciate the light weight.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 26, 2022