1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

g&l, alembic... other

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Dec 20, 2000.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I'm looking into a G&L L-1505 and a 5 string Alembic Excel... what do you think of these? Any other suggestions? I'm in the 1000 to 1200 range... a little more if I get the Alembic.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a G&L and an Alembic Essence. The first cost me just under $700, the second $825. Both (I think) are better than either of your choices. As far as Alembic goes, I'd only go for their straight-through neck models. As for the G&L, 2 humbuckers do make a difference. I'd suggest you try both, and definately go for used. Both of mine were 2nd-hand, yet look/feel totally new.

In terms of sound, they are very different animals. I love both, so use them depending on what I am playing. Alembic has that great hi-fi sound, while G&L gets you that classic Fender/MM vibe with a few of it's own.

3. fatboy

fatboy

Jul 7, 2000
    Alembics are not hi-fi. They are Godly.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I play an Alembic Essence 5 string and it's my workhorse. The best market for an Alembic is the used market. They are fabulous basses with a low cost resale market. As brooks mentions, go for a neck through model. In addition, I recommend a model that has the "low pass filter". This is one of the electronics that gives Alembics their distinct sound.

Happy hunting,

Bones

5. I have no opinion on "Alembic" because I have never had the chance to play one, but I am a huge fan of G&L and would tell anyone to try one..... I have a L-2500 and I absolutely love it..... all I can say is try both let your fingers decide......

......if you groove it, they will come......

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My Alembic Epic 6 is easily the best sounding bass I own but the L2500 is an exceptional instrument. No doubt about it.

7. RedGrange

RedGrange Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I'm probably going to go with the G&L... I found a great deal. I'm more of a one pick-up man... I haven't moved the pan on my bass for a long time

8. rooster

rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    wow can't go wrong with the G&L for sure :D i think they are one of the best basses for the dollar and they are definetitly cool :cool:

AND REMEMBER AS ALWAYS ROCK TILL YA DROP !!!!!!!!