g&l, alembic... other

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Dec 20, 2000.

1. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I'm looking into a G&L L-1505 and a 5 string Alembic Excel... what do you think of these? Any other suggestions? I'm in the 1000 to 1200 range... a little more if I get the Alembic.
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a G&L and an Alembic Essence. The first cost me just under $700, the second $825. Both (I think) are better than either of your choices. As far as Alembic goes, I'd only go for their straight-through neck models. As for the G&L, 2 humbuckers do make a difference. I'd suggest you try both, and definately go for used. Both of mine were 2nd-hand, yet look/feel totally new.

In terms of sound, they are very different animals. I love both, so use them depending on what I am playing. Alembic has that great hi-fi sound, while G&L gets you that classic Fender/MM vibe with a few of it's own.
  3. fatboy

Jul 7, 2000
    Alembics are not hi-fi. They are Godly.
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I play an Alembic Essence 5 string and it's my workhorse. The best market for an Alembic is the used market. They are fabulous basses with a low cost resale market. As brooks mentions, go for a neck through model. In addition, I recommend a model that has the "low pass filter". This is one of the electronics that gives Alembics their distinct sound.

Happy hunting,

5. I have no opinion on "Alembic" because I have never had the chance to play one, but I am a huge fan of G&L and would tell anyone to try one..... I have a L-2500 and I absolutely love it..... all I can say is try both let your fingers decide......

......if you groove it, they will come......
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My Alembic Epic 6 is easily the best sounding bass I own but the L2500 is an exceptional instrument. No doubt about it.
  7. RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I'm probably going to go with the G&L... I found a great deal. I'm more of a one pick-up man... I haven't moved the pan on my bass for a long time
  8. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    wow can't go wrong with the G&L for sure :D i think they are one of the best basses for the dollar and they are definetitly cool :cool: