1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

G&L And CLF Research

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jan 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    G&L will be making some big announcements at the NAMM show. One of them is the launching (well, really it's a re-awakening) of the company that Leo Fender created after he sold Fender. BBE (which owns G&L) has also owned CLF Research all this time, and they are going to be announcing some re-issue sort of products at the NAMM show. I don't want to say too much at this point, don't want to steal their NAMM show thunder. But this is going to be pretty cool.

One other announcement they'll be making at the show is even more significant, at least in my mind. More details on that soon. In them meantime, keep your eyes out for CLF Research!

CLF-Research-letterhead-logo.jpg

Are You a Fan of Leo Fender?

Of course you are! That's why you'll love the new CLF Research™ Facebook and Instagram accounts, where you'll learn about Leo Fender's work from the mid 1960s onward.

CLF Research is the company Leo founded in 1966, where he continued to support CBS/Fender until 1970, later developed and manufactured Music Man instruments and ultimately his G&L instruments.

>> Follow @clfresearch on Facebook

>> Follow @clfresearch on Instagram

There will be plenty of never-seen-before photos and artifacts from Leo's career, even great stuff from the early '50s Fender years.

mwbonsall, SJan3, BlueMINI and 3 others like this.
  2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    hmm,
    been getting conflicting reports of whether they are gonna be at namm or not
    glad to know they'll be there

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    On the down low... they'll be there along with a reissue 1981 L-2000. It's got all the details right, the chrome control plate, etc. I think the only thing they changed was the neck profile, they felt that the 1.75" nut was too wide for today.

That's all based on a brief telephone conversation, so don't quote me just yet. But I can't wait to see a photo of that bass!

willsellout, SJan3, metron and 2 others like this.
  4. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Any chance the reissue might be available in fretless?

2cooltoolz likes this.
  5. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    this is within my interests

6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    That is really great news! I'm very interested. I'm assuming it'll be modern pickups, but I'd love to see them bring back the slot pole or large hex pickups - they sound great!

RocketMusic likes this.
  7. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Details are pretty scarce at the moment, they're holding their cards close to the vest until NAMM starts. That's on Monday, so hopefully we'll know more in a matter of days or at most a couple weeks.

RobTheRiot and bdgotoh like this.
  8. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Looky, looky!

BadJazz, Murch, /\/\3phist0 and 13 others like this.
  9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Love it.
    Hope these reissues are available left-handed.

punchclock, RocketMusic and bhunt1 like this.
  10. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    how much?

11. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    They look formidable, indeed..

12. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I don't have any details yet. I should be able to track that down next week...

craigb and kkaarrll like this.
  13. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Looks like they are only offering maple fingerboards...

14. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Is that just a coincidence, or did they actually say that at NAMM? Just curious. I'd be shocked if they imposed some artificial limitation like that...

pjbassist and bdgotoh like this.
  15. bdgotoh

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Just remarking on it, I'm really hoping I can get an ebony fingerboard!

pjbassist and RocketMusic like this.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That candy red one....beautiful. That’s definitely the color I’m going with when I order the fretless JB5 we discussed.

RocketMusic likes this.
  17. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Not that I think it would take this to get that, but... since NAMM is well under way - lemme share the second big announcement they're supposed to make at some point: G&L is launching a Custom Shop!

It was described to me as you will have one of their master builders baby sit your build through the entire production process. Body and neck woods will be carefully chosen by the builder to meet the customer's criteria (weight, color, grain pattern, 1-piece, 2-piece, 3-piece, etc.). And there may be some truly custom sort of things available. Like on the JB, for instance. Right now, you can only get one with a 1.5" nut. Perhaps something like a new nut width on a JB might first come through the Custom Shop?

As with the CLF Research stuff, details are a little scarce at the moment. But I'll share more info as I have it!

SJan3, pjbassist, willsellout and 5 others like this.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Now THAT’S interesting.

19. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    It is indeed. I'm just wondering what sort of premium they're going to tack on. I'm sure the extra attention to detail will come with a price tag.

20. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well that's cool. Do these have the modern 6 bolt necks?

I love the looks of the 80s L2Ks, but they've REALLY improved the neck construction since the early days.

SJan3 and pjbassist like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021