Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L and Fender Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, May 26, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hello,
    As some of you guys might have figured out from my previous posts, I've been wanting a surf green P Bass, or a P/J type bass with a jazz neck. Here's my first question, Does the American Hot Rodded P-bass have a Jazz neck or the percision neck? My next question is this, would it be better to get the Fender Hot Rodded P Bass and have it refinished, or, since G&L offers their SB2 bass in Belair Green (which is close enough to the color I'm wanting), get that one and have the #6 neck option? It's not too important, because I'd have to save a lot of money to get either of those options, and I need a new rig first. But I always like to plan ahead, so I think about my future bass purchases alot. Which of these is a better bass, they look to be very similar, both designed my Leo Fender, but it seems to me that G&L is the most genuine Fender product, because it's not marketed so heavily. Also, what are the prices on a G&L SB2? Thanks in advance for any replies that can help me out.

Dirk

2. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Dirk, I am a hands down Fender freak, and I have owned several new and old Fender basses. Of the Fender basses that I have owned( at least 25 or more), I have never owned a poorly made Fender bass. The new stuff is by-in-large very good stuff and the HRP is one of my favs as is your color of choice. With that said let me just say that, from my experience, the three G&L basses that I have owned were built just a tad bit better than my Fenders and had fewer problems with them. I have never owned or played a SB2, but if they are like the L2000's and Asat that I have had, it should be a winner. Also, I think Fender's resale market has been slipping over the past few years because they have absolutely flooded the market with thier basses so much that stores are having a difficult time selling new ones because there are so many used one for sale.

3. Just for the record, Leo Fender did not design the Hot Rod P bass. He sold the company in '65, so any newer design from the Fender company were not his doing.

The G&L SB-2 however, is a Leo creation and is a fantastic bass. As with all G&L's it's really well made an dthe tone is great. It's my favourite Fender style bass I've ever owned - and there have been a lot of them. Imagine all the great things about a passive Fender, with all the little bugs fixed. That's the SB-2.

The other thing I like about it is that with both pickups on, it sounds more like a Jazz bass than any other P/J bass I've played. The J pickup is voiced a little differently to compensate for the neck pickup being a P. The result is a great P sound with only the neck pickup selected, and a great Jazz sound when both pickups are on.

Another thing in its favour is that the G&L Belair Green finish is really sweet!

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive not seen any difference in quality between the two brands.The SB-2 is nice but id like it better with a tone control along with the vol knobs.No biggie to add one.I think one of the guys at the FDP is selling his LE FDP HRP which has the surf green fin.It might have the matching headstock color as well.There was only a dozen or so of these made so it will cost a bit more than the others.AFAIK HRP's have the same neck as the Std/Series P's.Good luck!

5. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    think that bass is sold, and it was arround $1500.00. The HRP's are nice too.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Fender HRP has standard Precision C neck. G&L is available with a variety of necks, including #6 (Jazz). What I'd really like to try is an SB2 with a J-Retro...yummy!

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The Hot Rod P, like the current American Series P, has a B neck, 1.625". The C neck is 1.75".

8. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    hey dirk you can sometimes find a MIJ P bass in Foam green. BTW, it is my favorite color too.

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  10. The HRP does indeed have a B neck. The MIM P bass special (I thik) has an A neck like a jazz bass, but I have heard the PJ set is mismatched. I have never played one.

11. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I have owned both the HRP and MIM P Special, and let me tell you that the MIM is a real nice bass for mid $400's NEW. Also if you can find a used Cal. Ser. P Special, another great buy. Never noticed any mismatch in the MIM, but I did not have it for that long, which is normal for me.
    Scott

12. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hey everyone, thanks for your help and advice on this subject. Now my choice will depend on money. Do I want to go the cheaper route and buy the MIM P Special and get a new finish, or would I rater spend more and get a better bass w/ a factory paint job. Right now, since I don't have enough money to get either I'd probably rather wait and get the better bass since I'm waiting anyway. My main objective now is to upgrade my rig. But as soon as I get the cash and make the choice to get it, then I'll be sure to post pics... Once again thanks for your help.

Dirk