Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L and GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrocker, Mar 24, 2005.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Anybody have any idea why Guitar Center does not carry G&L? I'd like to try out an L2000 but can't seen to find a G&L dealer in my area.

Guitar Center sometimes have a used G&L Bass, usually pretty expemsive, and it usually does not stay on the shelf very long.

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Guitar Center caters almost exclusively to low end buyers: kids in high school and adults who dabble in music but don't have the cash to throw down for serious gear. That's why they tend not to carry as much of the upper end boutique stuff.

Since they already deal both Spector and Warwick (who have pretty nice mid range stuff) why pack G&L?

3. I guess I'd not call G&L's boutique basses. They are on par with the Fender USA, maybe a bit better in quality, but similar in price. And the tribute series is a great value for a USA made bass. Also my GC (well it's not mine, but I go there and give them money so it seems like I bought it) has Pedulla and Warwick, not exactly Squire type lines. And in the acoustic guitar room they have an extensive Taylor collection, from the babies to the $7000 presentation.

Oldrocker, try some of your local music stores. I found them at a little place near me and they have a few on the wall but not lots.

4. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I seem to remember G&L can't be sold by an Authorized fender dealer............which is why G&L has such a hard time getting into bigger shops............could be totally wrong though?

5. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Except Tribute models are not made in the USA, just the pickups. :meh:

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Tributes = MIK (Made in Korea). Still good basses though. I hear the pots kinda suck and the bridges aren't quite up to par with the US ones, etc, but close...

7. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    First time I heard that. Buffalo Bros and Bass Central carry both of them so I guess this cant be true.

8. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    the GC down in Indy just recently stopped carrying G&L's. My buddy Jared who works there said it was because they just weren't selling that many and for a long time they had a large overstock of them, both new and used, and just couldn't sell them. It seems that the 1500 i'd traded in there last summer was pretty much the only G&L bass that had actually sold there in awhile, but even that took several months(i thought about buying it back every time i went in there until it finally sold). so last i heard, they were all shipped off to be put up on the Instrument Exchange site.

9. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I just had my pots changed(under warranty)so no more static for me. And only diff. I can tell about the Bridge is that mine says Truibutes and not G&L.

A bass that is in the $600 range is not a cheap bass to me.

10. I recomend Tributes to people almost to the point of being annoying (actually, probably past the point of being annoying.)

I've played lots of other basses, and I havent found a bass that was better than my Tribute yet. I absolutely love them, MIK or not. The neck feels great, the action is one of the lowest I've ever seen. The only thing I would ever trade this bass for is an American G&L, and thats only because I've been lusting over an ASAT and I cant get a tribute model.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Maybe its because Guitar Center is run by a bunch of turds who just do not know anything except MIM Fender, Squier, and Ibanez. Everytime I go in there I'm just frustrated because there is always some new typical salesman (long hair, gotee, rave-style button down shirt) trying to get me to buy something absolutely cheap, that I do not need or even have any interest in.

My local GC got in what they claim to be a 1981 G&L L-1000. It has the newer, post Fender lawsuit headstock. I mentioned it to one of the managers and he said he researched it to be a 1981. Now if someone is going to be doing research for a G&L bass, surely they would at least know that the newer headstocks were not produced until 1983.