1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L and great Tonal consistancy across the fretboard

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by fishtx, Mar 15, 2009.

1. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Hey guys...I just recently got an L2500...and am definately falling in love with it...and one of the things I've noticed about this bass, is how consistant the notes sound across the fretboard...

What I mean by that, is on a lot of my Basses (most all in fact), there is a lot tonal difference in the same notes...IE; if you were playing the open "A" string, and then played the "A" on the 5th fret of the "E" string...Though both are in tune, they still sound a lot different (one fatter/thicker than the other, etc...).

On this L2500, man...to me these tonal differences are much less pronounced than on any other bass I think I've ever played...They are still there, but much less pronounced...much more consistant...I think that is pretty impressive...

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this about the G&L's...Is this something you can expect with all G&L basses?...Also, is it because of the MFD pup's, or am I just in that "honeymoon" stage with this bass and in love right now?...LOL

Thanks!!

2. I believe that strings have an important part in this. But G&L is still perfect.:)

3. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    strings??...eh maybe...but I've used D'addario EXL 170SL's on other basses, and never noticed the consistancy I hear with this G&L...The next time I change strings, I'll be putting a set of Elixir's on her, and will see if things change...

4. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Havn't noticed that type of consistency, but I do like how there are no dead spots or dead strings...

Strings do make a big difference with that tho. On my L2500, I originally set it up with EXL170's, but the B string absolutely overpowered everything else, overloading the amp and etc.

I now use daddario flats (ECB81-5's) which calmed the B, and everything else, down really nice.

Nice thing about the G&L is the PU's are so hot that you can back off and back off as much as you want to get the tone you want and there's still miles and miles of everything left....

I.e. with no frets and flats, my 2500 still makes an outstanding metal bass with both PU's enabled - still gives a nice pinch with lots of lows....

LS

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    OK so this may be a stupid question...but I was just wondering...Does G&L PLEK their basses before they leave the factory?

I'm just wonder if this L2500 I'm noticing these intonation things with, may have been PLEK'D...I'm embarrased to say this, but I don't think I've ever played a PLEK'D bass before...just curious...

6. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    G&L no PLEK.

7. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I believe so. I think they started PLEKing a few years ago.

8. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    They've been PLEKing for a while now. Say two years ago?