1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

G&L Announces New CLF Research L-2000

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Feb 21, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    In the late 1970s, Clarence Leo Fender was looking forward to launching his new G&L brand featuring his latest innovations including Magnetic Field Design pickups and the Saddle Lock bridge. Leo developed these technologies at his CLF Research company, and production of his new G&L instruments took place in the CLF Research factory on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, where G&L production continues today.

The new CLF Research L-2000 is a fully modern “2k” that pays homage to its roots with classic details including the early CLF/G&L headstock and neck profile, beautifully reproduced CLF knobs and '81 control plate, and color-coded mini-toggle switch tips.

Period-perfect thin urethane finishes are:

• Candy Apple Red or Jet Black over Basswood
    • Natural Ash
    • faded 3-Tone Sunburst over Okoume

Contact your local authorized G&L dealer for availability.

unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg

2. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    I prefer this headstock to the usual G&L bass.

ICM, Hevy T, 74hc and 4 others like this.
  3. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I like both headstocks.

Man, they make great instruments.

4. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    They picture no 5's but I'm assuming they'll do those too? huh.gif

5. JacobMiranda

JacobMiranda Freelance Bassist in Southern California

Feb 22, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    I tried the 4's at NAMM this year, and man, the necks are everything. The knobs are also well crafted and feel very high quality. I recently became endorsed by G&L and have a Kiloton 5 on order. I would for sure buy a CLF 4 string if I needed it.

comatosedragon likes this.
  6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    The toothy boomerang plates aren't working for my eyes, but I'm sure my ears would be fine with these.

TonyP- likes this.
  7. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Although the words "fully modern" are used in the description, is there anything even remotely modern happening here?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    JeffJ2112 and monsterthompson like this.
  8. I did search, and couldn't find this information:

Does someone mind to tell me what the early CLF/G&L neck profile is like?
    (also, please tell me the nut is at least 43mm ....)

I have recently become acclimated to beefy, asymmetrical necks; and although I realize the G&L does not use an asymmetrical neck, I am indeed curious (because these basses are drool) about the neck profile.

I guess I'm more curious whether it is closer to a 'traditional' P-bass neck (yay!) or the (seemingly more popular) Jazz Bass profile (boo!).
    I think the "U" and/or "D" profiles are the best for me (health-wise)

HXfiVUWl.jpg

Thanks!!

9. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Interesting, but what "local authorized G&L dealer" would that be?

B Street Music is going out of business, but they are not that local to me. The only dealer here in San Jose listed on G&L website does not post business hours, store location, or directions on their website. San Jose is the 3rd largest city in California.

Makes it tough for manufacturers to sell anything. Maybe they need to get a demo van with a nationwide tour schedule? Perhaps the NAMM format is outdated, and they need regional conventions that allows musicians to attend.

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    see that's a tricky one, although similar to my 83 and 94 modern c necks it was more beefy front to back than the 83 and more u shaped than the 94, but it was different than my custom 2016 c too that's more like a musicman neck

let's just say it was really easy to play, but kind of unique in some respects

11. looper

looper Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    MPLS
    Love to see them offer ebony fretboard as an option.

12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I want one of these in a bad way, yet I can't remotely justify the expense--I'm covered with the basses I have and money is a bit tight. Plus I just got done having the "needs" vs. "wants" lecture with my 12 year old. Damn it!

GeneralElectric likes this.
  13. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    Chicago
    if it helps I play an 81 L2000 with you selection "D"

14. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    I love the old style headstock. So much better looking.

15. JacobMiranda

Feb 22, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    I have L-2500 with a U, and another L2500 with more of D neck. I guess its subjective because I have pretty big hands, in my opinion , the CLF felt like thinner, like the style D- neck.

16. guestOU812

guestOU812 Inactive

Jul 30, 2011
    Why are there no New York City dealers??

17. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I like the headstock and I like the control plate. I'd buy one then remove the bridge, plug the hole and slap on a vintage bridge.

:)

18. JacobMiranda

Feb 22, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Its a new release. G&L is based in Cali, give it time.

djp420 likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021