1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L ASAT Bass Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CliftonBonney, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I think my next purchase is going to be the G&L ASAT bass. But, I'm torn between the two in the links below. I need some help. If you click on the two links check out the pictures of the headstock for each bass. They look different in that the E string on the cherry burst one seems to have a greater break over the nut than the red one. Also, the E string on the red one is parallel with the A string while this is not the case on the cherry burst one. Should I be concerned about either one? If I buy one of these, I won't have a chance to play it beforehand. Thanks.

G&L ASAT Bass Cherryburst from UpFront Guitars

2011 G&L ASAT Bass Ruby Red Metallic > Guitars : Bass - Rudys Music | Gbase.com

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    What you're looking at is an optical illusion. Both of these basses will have identical construction.

Re. the bass at Rudy's - prepare yourself for sticker shock whenever you see "call" under the price column.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    ^this

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    ASATs are one of the most beautiful basses made, IMO. I'm assuming you have done your homework and know of the neck dive issues. If you are patient, used ASATs can go well below $1K. If you are bent on new, either of these are excellent choices.

5. Thanks everyone.

I did get the quote from Rudy's. It was quite a bit higher for whatever reason. It's a very nice looking bass, but not sure it justifies the extra cash.

I have read about the neck dive issue. Peoples' opinions are mixed on the severity of it, so I thought I'd just see for myself. I'd like to play one in advance but know of no local stores that carry them. If a used one came along I might pick it up as a cheaper option. I haven't seen one in the classifieds though.

6. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    yeah- "call" means we dont want you to see the high price so you can find its cheaper elsewhere !

falbergo likes this.
  7. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    so you have to waste a toll call to find its overpriced? sheesh,lol.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The best prices for new G&L's is at BuffaloBros. Talk to John Salcido.

9. I checked them out but they didn't have any in stock.

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I love my ASAT. Neck dive isn't really a biggie for me.
    I did have to get the neck replaced (under warranty), but I can't complain about the G&L customer service department.

And their resale value is not great. My wife bought my ASAT new for me as a gift, but I'd keep an eye on the used market. That being said, their prices for new instruments are on par with their peers & the list of custom options you can choose is pretty amazing.

Bottom line? ASATs look so freakin' cool!

Good luck on your quest.

11. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
  12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Wow!

13. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member